Lenovo W520 2630QM vs 2820QM

Nejv

Distinguished
May 23, 2011
Hey guys,

I'm going to buy myself a Lenovo W520 this week and since I live in Denmark I don't have the option of ordering configured laptops from lenovo.

Thus - I need to buy myself a preconstructed one and my choices have ended up in these two models:

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?q=lenovo+w520&pid=4938367

and

http://www.edbpriser.dk/Product/Details.aspx?q=lenovo+w520&pid=4940886

There aren't any major differences between them and I'm not sure where the big price difference comes from.
Translated to USD the cheaper one costs ~2600 USD and the more expensive one costs ~3800 USD

The big differences are

2630QM vs 2820QM
1600x900 vs 1920x1080
4GB DDR3 vs 8GB DDR3
1GB GFX vs 2GB GFX

The other stuff doesn't really matter, it's basically the same computer except for those things.

I'm going to be using it for architectural work so a lot of Adobe-stuff, 3d-modeling and visualizations.

I'm leaning towards the quicker one - just for the speed. But my gut is kind of telling me to buy the cheaper one since I can't justify the price jump.

If I was to buy the cheaper one I would add 4gb of ram myself for no money at all - and for both laptops i plan to install a SSD-drive.

Please help me guys!

Money or speed :p Also I'm not sure if it's necessary with full-hd for a 15.6 widescreen... well you tell me!

thanks!

TheOptimist

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2011
Same question. I run Adobe CS5, 20 web pages open all day long, of course email, word, excel, and 12 other apps in the tray... lots of security, in a bank envronment as the IT Officer and Web-internet banking support...

Based on what real world testing are you suggesting to AVOID the 2820 processor? It can take 1600 RAM which the lesser processor cannot, has more L3 Cache... etc...

Money is tight. no doubt. But I'll pay if "seat of the pants" difference is noticeable. Being productive pays the bills...

Thanks for any real side by side tests... (SSD also is very expensive and the man in previous post said he'll have one! and 8 Gig of RAM) so cost is "relative" to performance here...

Thanks again for any further thoughts

hazilo

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2011
Too bad you're not studying in a university, you could have gotten the second one for approximately 2300USD!