Emachines D620 wont start

siemensc4

Distinguished
May 22, 2011
Hi, i have a Emachines D620 portable computer. Recently I opened it up, because it needed a cleaning, i cleaned it, put it back together and now i cant start it. It wont respond in any way, i plug in the charger and no leds light up. There are no signs of life, what could i've done wrong? Could it be the batterys fault because i tried earlier to run it without a battery and it didnt work.

siemensc4

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

I checked it, it seems fine.

wstechtoys

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
I would check all connections. then double check. also make sure nothing was damaged. If all is good and it still wont start then i would remove battery and unplug the power adapter. then hold down the power button for 30 seconds. plug power back in and try to power on.

siemensc4

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

well i checked the motherboard and it didnt notice any physical damage. is there any way to check if the motherboard is recieving the power or to check the battery? and what does the power button holding do?

wstechtoys

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
you can check to see if voltage is coming through your dc-power jack to the board with a simple multimeter. Just check for 19v or whatever your power supply is rated for on the pins connected to the system board from the dc-power jack. you'll have to get on the right pins so try all of them. As far as holding down the power button it drains all remaining power from the board, which resets the power management chip/s. There is a common issue where this is required after the laptop puts itself to sleep then wont boot back up. One last suggestion would be to make sure no rogue screws are stuck on the board causing it to short out.

siemensc4

Distinguished
May 22, 2011

thanks for the info.i checked the power supply, it works.

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
there might be a cable from the DC jack to the MOBO, have you checked that connection?

You should also be able to check the voltage on that cable to see if you get power to the MOBO

mightymaxio

Distinguished
Nov 9, 2009
When you cleaned it did you use a vacuum or a compressed air canister? Using a vacuum cleaner can really damage internal parts unless it is a specially designed one for electronics.