Solved! Envy 14 + SSD = temporary hard drive lockups

fowldogs

Distinguished
Jun 21, 2010
I installed an SSD in an Envy 14 and restored using the HP image restore discs. The system loads great, but about 30 seconds after bootup, the hard drive activity light pegs out and the system is frozen up for about 30-45 seconds. After this activity is done, the system runs great.

Any idea what is causing this hard drive to peg out?

I have run MSCONFIG and Process Explorer in an attempt to figure out what process is causing this, but it didn't show any program running during this hard drive activity.

I reloaded the Envy 14 with a standard Windows 7 DVD, and the system never has this problem I explained. It has to do with the HP image.

I would just run the stock Windows 7 with the system, but the computer came with Premiere and Photoshop Elements and the only way I can find to install these is with the image restore.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Roger

Solution
Sounds like is some HP specific software conflict and if the only thing you changed was the SSD installation, it might be the fall sensor software that locks a spinning HDD. This could be getting tripped as the system starts up and that's why it freezes, whereas the standard Windows installation doesn't include a driver for this. You could install your HP disk and find the driver and delete it, see if that does the trick. That's the only thing I could think of.

joshyboy82

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2010
Sounds like is some HP specific software conflict and if the only thing you changed was the SSD installation, it might be the fall sensor software that locks a spinning HDD. This could be getting tripped as the system starts up and that's why it freezes, whereas the standard Windows installation doesn't include a driver for this. You could install your HP disk and find the driver and delete it, see if that does the trick. That's the only thing I could think of.

Solution