Replacing motherboard dc jack

hankhsiao

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hey there, once again, I am in a bit of a predicament. Looks like my DC Jack/Power jack/charge jack [whatever you guys feel comfortable with] went out. I was playing around with a new wireless card and had the majority of my laptop disassembled [basically running the main components, motherboard, keyboard, lcd screen, nothing much] and running it with the power brick. If you are familiar with my previous thread, my battery is disassembled and I am waiting for new cells to solder in, but in the mean time, I decided to try and install the new wireless card that came in. Anyway, I was already running the computer in a weird angle [loose dc jack] and I was in the middle of installing the software when my computer just instantly shut off.

Now, either I fried my motherboard [if this is a novice assumption, forgive me] or my dc jack [which was powering the laptop in a funny angle] finally gave out. I'm not sure which, but now, no matter what angle I try to twist or turn the plug, it won't power. Anyhow, I was wondering if I could just order a similiar looking dc jack and wait for parts or does it have to be absolutely the same? Could I find a dc jack with the same mm size and the same amount of pins? I mean, I'm assuming as long as it'll fit in the spot on the motherboard, it'll be fine. But then again, I am a novice and I'm likely to be wrong.

Thanks guys!

Solution
This is basic troubleshooting. By that you mainly need to be able to swap parts or test them with another functioning unit.

You really need to start by determining if your power pack is even functioning. If you have a voltmeter and know how to safely use it you can check the end of your power pack. That doesn't mean it will work under load, but no voltage means it's broken. If you could hook it up to another laptop that had the same power requirements that would prove if it worked.

I find it odd that you're asking some fairly basic questions about troubleshooting while at the same time you've completely pulled apart your laptop.

Do you feel qualified to be working on it?

hankhsiao

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Sorry, I should have included a bit more information. Yes, the power pack [im assuming you mean power brick] is functioning. I tried it on another laptop with the same power requirements.

Sorry for asking such novice questions while hoping to complete a task that requires a deep base in this field, but everyone needs to start somewhere.

I feel if given proper advice, many people would be qualified to perform the task.

As far as I am aware of, the basic job is just to desolder the DC jack with a soldering iron and a solder wick/solder suction device. If old solder is still stuck on the board, apply fresh solder and melt it. Then slowly wiggle out the DC jack and if it is still stuck somewhere, continue the process.

Once it's out, clean off the region with 99% alcohol, then proceed to soldering on the new DC jack. The new dc jack should slip into place, make good contact with the motherboard and just solder it in.

I think that's the basic run through of how to do the job, but of course, I am a novice. The question I really wanted answered was whether or not a SIMILIAR DC jack is able to take the place of the previous one. Seeing as how this laptop is a no name/china brand, I can't exactly order an exact replacement.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007

As long as the pin out is the same, and the jack physically fits in the space provided without creating and short-circuit, and works with the original power supply connector it should be fine.
its just a metal connector- it does not actually do anything, but make connections.

**as a note- useing a multiMeter, you should be able to test he jack/connection still affixed to the original socket- if you are getting power from both sides of the fuse to a ground point, it is probably more than that.

Solution

hankhsiao

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Alright, sounds good. I doubt that the replacement DC jack will short circuit and I think as long as the pins are the same it should be alright, I just needed some confirmation. I am quite sure that it is the DC jack, it had already been acting up for quite a while now. I'll try to confirm it later, thanks.

brianbuys

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2009
There are many ppl out there will Dell laptops where the internal portion of the DC jack broke. I bought a replacement jack on ebay but i would unable to desolder/solder the old DC jack off. my soldering iron just wasnt hot enough. There was a local laptop repair shop that offered this service specifically (again many ppl out there have this problem). I was able to watch them do this and they removed the old broken dc jack and installed a the new one. laptop battery charged and booted fine. Note that this Dell wouldn't power unless the battery is installed and working.

hankhsiao

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Thanks for the advice, I think if I can't successfully do the job I'll bring it to a repair shop. The laptop I'm using is a nobrand but I'm sure it works under the same concept. Really appreciating your input guys.

ram1009

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2007
There are a great variety of that style of jack. Finding an exact match may be your major problem. I would try the OEM of the computer first and then a local laptop repair facility. They may all balk at selling components since they make money on such repairs. You may find it necessary to take the MB in to such a facility for the repair. As you point out it isn't a difficult repair once the MB is accessible so maybe you'll find a cooperative repairman. Good luck.