Leveno or Dell's Alienware

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
Hi I need to figure out what laptop I want for college and for gaming. I will also be watching movies and i almost forgot that I will be majoring in computer science I have done a lot of research and narrowed it down to two choices. If you have other suggestions feel free to let me know.

I am looking at Lenovo's y560d:

http://shop.lenovo.com/SEUILibrary/controller/e/web/LenovoPortal/en_US/catalog.workflow:category.details?current-catalog-id=12F0696583E04D86B9B79B0FEC01C087&current-category-id=C46D71ACFD7C4475B8E490358F8CA8C3&tabname=Compare

and Alienware's m17x r3:

http://www.dell.com/us/p/alienware-M17x-r3/pd.aspx

Lenovo y560d:
pros: cheaper; lighter; 3d; better sound system
cons:battery life; worse graphics; can't upgrade memory upon buy; no blu-ray

Alienware m17x r3:
pros:upgradable memory and graphics card;3d;blu-ray
cons:not as good sound; battery life; weight

with everything that i want to come with them my total for each laptop is
Lenovo: 2200
Alienware:5500

I have the money I 'm just wondering if alieware is worth the price. I prefer to have blu-ray and 3d. If i got the either i would update the graphics card to what is newest because i know they aren't the best.

Thank you for reading my post, just ask if you need to know any other details.

math1337

Distinguished
Aug 4, 2009
I think the alienware is not worth the much higher price unless you absolutely need the power. The lenovo is already a fairly powerful laptop. Don't bother about upgrading memory upon buying, because aftermarket ram is almost always cheaper, and very easy to install.

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011
lol you didn't look at the link did you. It cost 2000 for the 3d one and specifically i:

1. upgraded the processor from Intel® Core™ i7 2630QM 2.0GHz (2.8GHz Turbo Mode, 6MB Cache) to Intel® Core™ i7 2820QM 2.3GHz (3.4GHz Turbo Mode, 8MB Cache)

2.added windows professional

3.upgraded from the 4GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz (2DIMMS) memory to the 16GB Dual Channel DDR3 at 1333MHz

4. upgraded from a single drive, 320GB 7,200RPM HDD, to the 1.5TB Raid 0 (2x 750GB 7,200RPM)

5. extra pair of 3d glasses

6. upgraded the wifi card to the top one

7. got wireless hd package

8. got an extra mouse and keyboard

9.planned on getting 4 games

10. backpack

11. 3 year advanced warranty

12.Microsoft office (student version)

13.McAfee® Security Center – 36-Months

14. headphones and speakers

15. AC adapter and HDMI cable

16. new wireless router

17. upgraded phone service

=

$5,531.87

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Yeah you're probably right. I'm new to the whole buying laptops thing

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Even after reading about SLI/CF i still don't understand what it.

AntiZig

Distinguished
SLI/Crossfire is basically taking 2 graphics cards and linking them toghether to get more performance out of them. In a way, it's used to either get 2 cheaper graphics cards to get a better performance than the expensive single card. Or if you want to max out the specs, get the 2 top end GPUs linked toghether for absolute top performance.

Now, one thing to ask, you seem to be trying to max out all the specs on that alienware + get all the possible bundles dell can offer with it. Do you really need all of those?

What I'm saying is, if you go to a store and buy that router separately, you'll probably save 20% in price. You got the wireless HD package, do you even understand what it's for? or did you just pick the most expensive option?

also, getting keyboard and speakers for laptop... why not just go ahead and buy a desktop then...

I'm assuming you want this laptop to use for gaming.

Basically, for gaming, I'd rather recommend upgrading the GPU to something better than 460 rather than getting 16Gb ram. (you don't need that much ram for gaming 4-6 is more than enough). And seeing how dell is famous for skimping out on GPU, 460 is the only option, yay! (there are laptops out there for half the price that will outperform this alienware)

You got to ask yourself if shiny LED lights are that important to you. If yes, go ahead and buy that alienware. If not, there are better options out there.

I'd also recommend to do some research on the options you are selecting when shopping for components in laptops. Are those quality parts? What are better options? Are those options cheaper/more expensive? by how much? what are the reliability & quality of the parts you planning to buy?

If all those aren't important and you wish to just spend the money. Go ahead and buy that dell. Might as well also mail me a check for $1k if you got money to spare, I could put it to good use.

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

Please don't take my lack of knowledge for buying a laptop as ignorance. Yes i know what the wireless hd package is. If i would have picked the most expensive option on everything, the cost would be much greater.

Unless i can pick up a desktop and take it with me to a class then why would i get a desktop. I will also be using the laptop in my dorm so i would expect that another keyboard and mouse would be useful. Just my preference.

i appreciate your help that included the other statements like do my research on the parts and to not get 16 gb. Oh and btw i said i was buying 4 games off the bat, not thats how many i would have

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

yeah the y570 looks nice too. i will take a second look at it

kairiroxs360fan

Distinguished
May 9, 2011

I actually did look at the Sager and i think it's going to cost me less and i like the specs on it. what it's really going to come down to is how much do i really want that 3d

lordravage

Distinguished
May 10, 2011
I have a solution for you that would be absolutely perfect, but you probably won't like it. Buy a sweet, super powerful gaming desktop with a much bigger 3d monitor for about $2500, then buy a powerful laptop to take with you to class for $1500 or so. Cheaper than the Alienware laptop, waaay better performance (you will never find a laptop that can match a well equipped desktop even at twice the price), and gives you everything you wanted!

You can have them sync so you can leave the laptop sitting on a shelf whenever you are in your dorm and still have access to all your class notes/work/etc on your main machine. Everyone I know that has spent over $3000 on a gaming laptop is envious of a $1500 desktop less than a year later.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

the guy is right and you arent even listening to him.

for what you are trying to do the 460m sucks.
16gb is a total waste.
you DONT need the 2820qm for gaming as the gpu will bottleneck way before a 2630qm will.
you probably dont need any of the extra wifi stuff because the wifi at your college wont be fast enough to make it worth wild.
from a current college student, everyone i know that has a 17 inch laptop HATES it because they dont fit on desks they take up a lot of room on your desk in your room they are big and heavy and just not college friendly.
finally your wasting your money on microsoft office. you college will offer you either a free version that you have to "return" when you graduate or a very cheap one for about 20 dollars.

all of this you would have know if you would have taken and listened to our advice but instead you wanted to keep up with the Joneses.(the joneses are a family that have the top notch of everything).

no one wins in a pissing contest.