15" MacBook Pro or what?

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
Last week I bought a 15" Macbook Pro to compliment the Mac Pro in my signature.

I don't like it for this reason: PRICE...it was really really expensive, especially after customizing it with an OCZ SSD, 8GB of RAM, and an optical bay hard drive bay (very expensive, even for my tastes)

I like it for these reasons:
It has a quad core Sandy Bridge 2820QM (Its fast. Period)
I love the aluminum chassis for its durability and design
I like the design and materials used. It feels solid. It feels high-end
I love the 1680x1050 non-glossy display
It's pretty quiet, until I really step into the graphics or CPU
I like the way it can be accesorized (hard covers, keyboard covers, palm rest covers, optical-drive-bay hard drive)...I feel like I'll be able to keep it in nice shape
It has reasonable graphics (6750M), especially since I'm not going to be gaming on it.

My question is given what I've said I like about it is there anything that you think can deliver or exceed my likes at a lower cost (let's say under $2,000)? The HP Envy is one unit I've considered but the reviews were so so and most dislike the touchpad, but it is far less expensive.

I know I may have to give up something but I just want to know if this high-end 15" MacBook is the only unit that has the majority of these qualities. As much as I hear how Apple stinks around these forums I figured you guys and gals would have a list of laptops that are far superior...and why they're superior. I know I can get a cheaper MacBook Pro...and that may be my only option to get me close to what I'm looking for.

Windows vs. Mac OS X doesn't matter for me, I can do what I need with either.

If what I've paid is what I have to spend, I'll spend it, but if I can get these features for under $2K or even $2.2K from anyone other than Apple, I'd like to at least know it. Your constructive opinions are appreciated.

Solution

Unofortunately you can't get any of those features(maybe only the weight) in any other windows-powered laptop because the trackpad gestures work only with OS X and as you mentioned you can't find any other unibody aluminum laptop either.
The Sager NP5160 or ASUS N53 that amk mentioned,are good options(but you have to sacrifices those 3 features)

If I were you,I'd keep my notebook.You bought it(no matter how much) and it seems you're quite happy with it.If you want to change it,then you can find laptops with...

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010
what are you using this laptop for?
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8130-clevo-p151hm1-p-2973.html?wconfigure=yes
ive never had a sager but everyone recommends them on here and talks highly of them.
customize this one with 2820qm gt 460m ic diamond thermal paste 16gb memory 80 gb ssd second 7200rpm hdd, and windows home premium.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np8150-clevo-p150hm-p-2972.html?wconfigure=yes
this one is basically the same laptop with the option to add a 6970 or 485m which are about twice as fast as the 460m and 6750.

but are about 2 grand but the 6970 and 485m's will be about 2 hundred more. the 460m is much better than the 6750 though

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

Thanks. I'm running VMs on them, for work, and for testing. Sometimes I'll be running two simultaneously. ...by the time I got the Sager configured it was $2,627.

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

The trackpad and unibody design and weight are extremely important. The unibody design is really one of the big reasons I went with the MacBook. However, I do understand that I'm not going to find that anywhere else.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
You can definitely get stuff like this and better for much less price. Look at Asus N-series, for example, N53SV. Sandy Bridge, very high-end design, great graphics, it's quiet and has great speakers. Unibody design? ...another marketing trick =) No real use whatsoever, IMAO.

Unofortunately you can't get any of those features(maybe only the weight) in any other windows-powered laptop because the trackpad gestures work only with OS X and as you mentioned you can't find any other unibody aluminum laptop either.
The Sager NP5160 or ASUS N53 that amk mentioned,are good options(but you have to sacrifices those 3 features)

If I were you,I'd keep my notebook.You bought it(no matter how much) and it seems you're quite happy with it.If you want to change it,then you can find laptops with better "specs" but as I said,you have to sacrifice some features(which are important for you)

Solution

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004

I downgraded to a 13" 2011 MBP. I saved $1,000 by doing so. Do I miss my 15" MBP beast? You bet ya.

I just have to remind myself that my 13" still has a 240GB SSD and a 750GB HD, as well as 8GB of RAM and is an auxiliary machine to my Mac Pro. I miss that 15" 1680x1050 screen...but I've got a $1K to spend elsewhere or save.

TRENDING THREADS