Clevo x8100 laptop, backlit keyboard

sagacious

Distinguished
May 3, 2011
question! i took apart my x8100 laptop to upgrade my wireless card and while i was at it i looked at the manufacturer of the keyboard on back. it says: Vendor: "Chicony" Model: "MP-08j43US-430" aside from not seeing that model number ANYWHERE on the internet, i called Chicony's american building in Irving, CA. They said they have not made laptop keyboards in many years. i called them to see about a comparable backlit model that would fit... and THATS the answer they gave me--"we havent made keyboards in a long time, sorry." how is this possible? a new laptop and old keyboard sitting on the shelf for 5 years come together as one into the x8100? can anyone shed some light on this or have any insight on a backlit model that would fit or some ideas on how to modify the stock one?

1. the light from the screen is NOT bright enough at night to illuminate the keyboard, period.

2. a USB light is funky, cumbersome, in-the-way and not nearly clever enough.

3. if i wanted to plug in a separate Desktop USB backlit keyboard, i wouldn't be interested in modifying the laptop keyboard.

theres gotta be some clever ideas out there!

sagacious

Distinguished
May 3, 2011

BUMP--no ones got an ideas?

Sorry, nothing more in common knowledge.

Chicony might have granted a license to another MFGR to build those keyboards. They won't necessarily know about what's being down with that license.

You probably want to talk to one of the Clevo dealers who probably have more specific information on your questions.