Solved! Bare bones Game Laptop to buy

epix

Distinguished
May 2, 2011
I have had my Dell e1505 (core duo/2g ram/7300 go/15.4 @ 1680x1050) for 5 years and it suddenly died a few weeks ago (I think their is something wrong with the sata controller). It was my main computer and im looking to replace it.

1. What is your budget?
-- $800 - 1000

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
-- smaller is better (but no more then 15.6)

3. What screen resolution do you want?
-- larger is better. My last was 1680x1050 but they don't seem to make em like that anymore

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
-- desktop replacement. I take it places but their are always power outlets

5. How much battery life do you need?
-- 10 minutes. basically so i can take it to different rooms or unplug it while the computer is shutting down.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
-- Yes! SC2 @ medium is a bare minimum.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Programing, watching youtube at 720p, watching videos at 720p (avi/mkv) I don't think this question will factor into any decisions cause any laptop that plays games should be able to everything else.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
-- zero. I have a bunch of hard drives. If it came without one that would be great. (assuming the price was reduced)

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-- this is what I was originaly guna get but after doing the math i dont think i can affor it :cry: http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11622418&whse=bc&Ne=4000000&eCat=bc|84|56670&N=4047232&Mo=45&pos=1&No=4&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78129&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=

this is my next selection
http://www.costco.com/Browse/Product.aspx?Prodid=11643400&whse=bc&Ne=4000000&eCat=bc|84|56670&N=4047232&Mo=45&pos=1&No=9&Nr=P_CatalogName:BC&cat=78129&Ns=P_Price|1||P_SignDesc1&lang=en-US&Sp=C&ec=BC-EC5-Cat84&topnav=

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
-- as long as possible (basically till it dies)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need?
-- none. I'm guna replace it with a second hard drive. (will also hopefully reduce the price)

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
-- I have only had a dell e1505 which lasted 5 years before catastrophic failure.

13. What country do you live in?
-- US

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
-- I'm broke... and I don't need an OS (reduce cost.

thanks.
Do they even sell laptops without hdd,dvd drives, OS?

Solution
I've been looking for something very similar for myself.

Have you checked out CyberPowerPC.com directly (rather than through Costco)?
Xplorer x6-7300
The big problem with this one is the screen is the typical 1366x768... There are other models with full HD screens, but beyond your stated budget.
You can order this directly from their website without an OS, and may be able to call to get them to take out the HD.

So, that would get you most of the way there... Hard to fit a higher-res screen into that budget.
For just a bit more checkout XoticPC.com:
Sager-np5165 (almost identical to the model above -- both based on the Clevo (white-box) w150 chassis)
This one comes with a choice of 1920x1080 screens, and I've heard XoticPC...

shadamus

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
I've been looking for something very similar for myself.

Have you checked out CyberPowerPC.com directly (rather than through Costco)?
Xplorer x6-7300
The big problem with this one is the screen is the typical 1366x768... There are other models with full HD screens, but beyond your stated budget.
You can order this directly from their website without an OS, and may be able to call to get them to take out the HD.

So, that would get you most of the way there... Hard to fit a higher-res screen into that budget.
For just a bit more checkout XoticPC.com:
Sager-np5165 (almost identical to the model above -- both based on the Clevo (white-box) w150 chassis)
This one comes with a choice of 1920x1080 screens, and I've heard XoticPC is more flexible (let you buy one not only without the OS, but without the HD as well), so you should be able to hit your budget pretty easily.

Good luck.

Solution

AntiZig

Distinguished
There's a problem with what you want:
you want the smaller the better laptop, yet you want the screen to be as big as possible. those two things contradict each other, since in laptops, laptop size is directly related to screen size.
That being said, I think what you chose (15.6") should do pretty fine for you size-wise.

If you want to buy laptops without hdd/OS/dvdroms look at custom laptop vendors. Often times you can call them up and talk to them to find out if you don't need certain parts can they sell you the laptop for cheaper.

Graphics cards nvidia GT 5xxM series should be able to run SC2 at decent settings
also ATI HD Mobility 6k series should be up to the task as well.
here's a link for reference: http://www.notebookcheck.net/Computer-Games-on-Laptop-Graphic-Cards.13849.0.html

processors I think you should be able to handle SC2 with i-5, but if you can afford an i-7 it will last longer.

hope this helps, happy shopping

epix

Distinguished
May 2, 2011

I want a small screen size with a high resolution

my dell was 15.4 @ 1680x1050 (unheard of at the time [2006])

they make screens that are 15.6 @ 1366x768
(a bigger screen but a lower resolution)

just to clarify :lol: