Solved! Looking for a laptop with sandy bridge...

kingneptune117

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
Hi everyone,

I am going to be a college freshman next year in engineering, so I am looking for a fairly powerful laptop. The ones I have been eyeing so far are these two.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Samsung+-+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+Silver/1813058.p?id=1218293981487&skuId=1813058&st=qx410&cp=1&lp=1

That one does not have sandy bridge...

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214204&Tpk=r835

this one has a sandy bridge i5, although It is quite expensive for me and I am not sure if the screen size is too small.

Would that first one, the qx410, be a good option? I want good battery life with good performance. I heard that if you want performance, you go with a sandy bridge processor. That second one has a sandy bridge i5. Not sure what to do. I need to get a laptop within the next 3 months, should I wait and see if anything good comes out? Do you guys have any recommendations?

Thanks

Solution
If you can wait a bit - you could get more choices in dual core Sandy Bridge laptops as the MFGRs continue to refresh the mid and low range models.

There isn't anything the Portege R835 can do that the QX410 can't also do. Both exceed the requirements for getting work done in college. Extra 'power' won't make you a better typist and a more organized paper writer. For 'power projects' using specialized engineering software (more likely in your higher level major courses) each would probably complete a job within a few minutes of each other over a fairly long project usage...
If you can wait a bit - you could get more choices in dual core Sandy Bridge laptops as the MFGRs continue to refresh the mid and low range models.

There isn't anything the Portege R835 can do that the QX410 can't also do. Both exceed the requirements for getting work done in college. Extra 'power' won't make you a better typist and a more organized paper writer. For 'power projects' using specialized engineering software (more likely in your higher level major courses) each would probably complete a job within a few minutes of each other over a fairly long project usage period.

Both would be good options IMO. I think the Portege R835 is a fair value and likely to be more 'rugged and durable'.
Samsung QX410 is a bit heavier than the R835 - 5lbs to 3.2lbs. Battery life claimed/real is QX410 7/5hrs vs R835 9/6hrs.
I have a reservation about the QX410 having an internal battery pack. No chance of changing out to a spare battery pack over a lunch hour run to the dorm.

Both got an 'Editors Choice' Award after being reviews @ Laptop Mag website.
Samsung QX410 Review
Toshiba Portege R835-P56X Review

Will Samsung roll out a QX410 Sandy Bridge dual core before the summer is out? Will the Toshiba Portege R835 be on sale under $850 any time soon? It's possible.

Solution