Solved! Laptop Opinion

rosilviu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Hello,

I am looking to buy a laptop and I would appreciate some opinions.

The maximum I am willing to spend is $750 CAD before taxes, but I like to pay less than $700.

I will be dual-booting Windows 7 and Ubuntu 11.04.

Main uses:
- Internet
- Programming
- HD Video Playback
- Games (looking forward to Diablo 3)

The best option I found so far is a Dell Inspiron 15
http://www.dell.com/ca/p/inspiron-15r-n5110/pd?oc=ni15r2_f_3e&model_id=inspiron-15r-n5110

Price: $649 + tax

CPU: Intel i3 2310M (2.1GHz/3MB cache)

Display: 15.6" High Definition (720p) LED Display with TrueLife™

Memory: 6GB3 Dual Channel DDR3 SDRAM at 1333MHz

Hard Drive: 500GB4 SATA hard drive (5400RPM)

Video Card: 512MB AMD RadeonTM HD6470M

Warranty: 1 Year Basic Mail-In Service Plan

Primary Battery: 48 WHr 6-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery

Optical Drive: 8X Tray Load CD/DVD Burner (Dual Layer DVD+/-R Drive)

What should I be upgrading? What should I be downgrading?

Thank you

Solution
Hello rosilviu;

Without an option to upgrade the graphics card for better gaming - there is no reason to do any upgrades to the basic Inspiron 15R package deal.

All of your main uses (except gaming) will be handled easily by the Inspiron 15R.
Hello rosilviu;

Without an option to upgrade the graphics card for better gaming - there is no reason to do any upgrades to the basic Inspiron 15R package deal.

All of your main uses (except gaming) will be handled easily by the Inspiron 15R.

Solution

rosilviu

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
How long will the battery last? What can be done to increase run-time on battery?

Also, I see the Inspiron 15 also advertises 2 USB 3.0 ports. Is this actually supported or is it just a marketing initiative?

USB 3.0 is actually supported.
Battery life is based on what activity is taking place and energy management settings. HD video watching = about 3.5hrs. Web browsing ~ about 4.5hrs. Gaming? probably under 90 minutes.
Power saving actions are the same as for any other laptop. Shutdown graphics card. Reduce screen brightness, shut down WiFi connection, reduce CPU activity, etc.