What's the advantage of a laptop with a built-in TV tuner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

vinny27

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
What's the advantage of a laptop with a built-in TV tuner? What channel lineup can be viewed for free? Broadcast only?

Solution
To what TV on monitor:
The monitor Must have either
A tuner (mine does), or
a spare input, composite video, or HDMI. Then you can hook up say a DVD recorder that has a tuner built in, which I also have. I have a TV ant hooked to the co-ax input and can recieve over-the-air local tv channels. The DVD recorder I have uses the cable input so that I can either watch a cable channel on monitor, or record the channel onto a DVD and whatch latter, like on my laptop.

To get TV onto the compute requires a card that can decode the signal. Older desktops could use the ATI all-in-wonder card which was a GPU with a built in tv tunner, Was discontinued - ATI would NOT put out a driver for new system and also stopped making the card...

vinny27

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
Thanks.
Can't I do the same using just a monitor without a tuner, or a computer, for that matter? I'm new at this, so this reply might seem silly to techies, but a further explanation would be appreciated.

vinny27

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2011
The laptop I'm lookintg at, an Asus N53SV A-1 describes the tuner as: Hybrid TV (Analog+DVB-T). I hope that helps. Is it true that I cannot watch TV on my laptop without a tuner, ie, excluding websites like ESPN3, which broadcast only their content?
Thanks

RetiredChief

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2007
To what TV on monitor:
The monitor Must have either
A tuner (mine does), or
a spare input, composite video, or HDMI. Then you can hook up say a DVD recorder that has a tuner built in, which I also have. I have a TV ant hooked to the co-ax input and can recieve over-the-air local tv channels. The DVD recorder I have uses the cable input so that I can either watch a cable channel on monitor, or record the channel onto a DVD and whatch latter, like on my laptop.

To get TV onto the compute requires a card that can decode the signal. Older desktops could use the ATI all-in-wonder card which was a GPU with a built in tv tunner, Was discontinued - ATI would NOT put out a driver for new system and also stopped making the card.

Apparently your laptop has a bult in tunner card. Should have a Co-ox connector to recieve over-the-air broadcast. Try it a cheap Ant is about 15 -> 20 bucks, bought on at Big-lots. You can also try connecting your cable (again co-ax) to the laptop. You should also have a remote just like a TV for the laptop.

Added:
I just googled your Laptop and saw nothing that indicated it had a built in tuner. If it has a tuner it should have a co-ax connector

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS