Solved! ASUS u31jg vs ul30 vs m11x versus.... well anything else?!

wilhemina

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
Okay so I've been seriously oogling the ASUS U31JG-XA1 13.3-Inch laptop on amazon offered for $699 and it seems to be the most affordable well rounded ultra-portable for the money so far. The one issue I'm puzzled about is I cannot for the life of me find a single benchmark review online of this laptop especially with its graphics card (the NV 415M). It appears capable of outclassing the 310M GPU, usually associated with the asus ul30/50/80 series and as much as I like the gaming performance of the Alienware, I felt I could not justify purchasing a ultra-portable of > 4 lbs without a DVD ROM and yet having the same chassis size as a 13.3 inch laptop, especially since I have a High end Gaming desktop available for any major games I might need to play. This u31 weighs in at 3.74 lbs and as far as all rounded performance goes, seems to hit the mark. My problem is why for goodness sake is this laptop still under the radar?! With all the noise about the ul30 you would think someone would jump at this or am I missing something here?

Can anyone please provide any user experience about this laptop? Maybe I'm hoping some editor will read this somewhere and consider providing a professional review of this laptop. (Fingers crossed for Tom...).

wilhemina

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
And thanks for the Toshiba recommend, however I've owned 3 toshibas in the past and while I can speak for their durability, I must say their wifi issues on most of their laptops are inexcusable. Not to mention the excess weight , bulkiness, poor battery life and lack of driver support on a lot of their systems (finding windows 7 drivers were for the most part a serious core, and this happened for my 3 generations of toshibas, p200, x205 and u500). However I do defer to them as my next choice of laptop outside Asus and Sony. I just want something a little sleeker and with more battery life. Thanks.