Solved! Return and wait or just live with it?

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
My Alienware m11x r2 just came in the mail and I was wondering what you guys would do. Would you return the r2 and get a refund and wait for the r3 which is supposed to come out this month or would you tear that laptop out of its packaging and use it?

The r3 has a 25% faster cpu and a 20% faster gpu. And I would assume some new ports as well.

Or is the r2 already fast enough with 4 gigs of ddr3 ram and an i7?

WHAT WOULD YOU DO?!

Solution
With the 15% restocking fee, the cost of return shipping and insurance you're probaly looking at $200 in extra costs - plus any additional price increase for the R3.

The R2 definitely does not suck. And the change in CPU is not as important as the change in GPU.

If it's true that the GPU will upgrade from GT 335M to GT 540M.... you're looking at performance differences that would be something similar to this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
Nope, in order to return it, it has to be unopened. I ordered it 2 days before the r3 specs were released and I couldn't cancel because it was in production. All I could do was wait for it and return it. But now that I have it I'm not sure if it's worth another month or more wait.

Also the I've learned the cpu and gpu aren't as much faster as I said up there. Both are 10 to 15 percent faster.

Edit: Oh, and there may be a 15% restocking fee, but money isn't really a problem.

With the 15% restocking fee, the cost of return shipping and insurance you're probaly looking at $200 in extra costs - plus any additional price increase for the R3.

The R2 definitely does not suck. And the change in CPU is not as important as the change in GPU.

If it's true that the GPU will upgrade from GT 335M to GT 540M.... you're looking at performance differences that would be something similar to this:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Solution

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
R3 isn't out yet and no official release date has been set, but everything seems to be pointing towards April release..

I've also heard that the 335 can overclock a fair bit but the 540 isn't as great at it because you can't change the volt or something along those lines.

J Coffey

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2009
In the picture you had there does it list the CPU it used for the benchmarks? Because if they used a core 2 duo for the 335 which is likely the fps might be a bit off then from using a an i7.

It does not list the CPU and CPU's are almost certainly different. It does explain with this note.
"Note: With slower components (like a slow CPU) the gaming performance may be noticable slower."
It's more than likely the testing was done without a CPU that isn't a CULV like in the MX11 so the overall FPS would likely be lower.