LAPTOP Shopping

uyare

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
I need a laptop for desk top replacement. It needs to have comfortable level of memory, RAM, decent video capabiity, battery life and no heat problems. Can anyone recommend a good machine? I heard negative things about Dell and Acer. Thanks.

uyare

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
Thanks for responding. Here is my answers:

1. What is your budget? around $1,500
2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Between 15-17"
3. What screen resolution do you want? 1680x1050 or 1440x900 .

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
A powerful Portable one. I actually do not know what I need to sacrifice or comparimise if I choose one over the other.

5. How much battery life do you need? at least 2.5 hours

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? MEDIUM. Some games but not top priority. I would like one with i5 or i7 though.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) BUSINESS APPLICATIONS, AUTOCAD, DATABASE WORK, NUMBER CRUNCING UP/DOWNLOAD MOVIES, EDIT AND WATCH MOVIES, HIGH SPEED INTERNET ACCESS

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
HIGHEST THE BETTER PLEASE RECOMMEND WITH REASONING.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
NOTHING SPECIFIC, I AM A VALUE SHOPPER. IF I CAN FIND THE RECOMMENDED MACHINE IN CHINA OR SINGAPORE, I WOULD BUY IY THERE.
10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
2-3 YEARS

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
A MEDIUM WHERE I CAN DOWNLOAD MOVIES AND EDIT

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
NO PREFERENCE

13. What country do you live in?
BECAUSE OF MY WORK, I TRAVEL WORLD WIDE

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
THERE ARE NUMBER OF THINGS STAND OUT AFTER READING THE FORUMS: BATTERY LIFE, GRAPHICS QUALITY, HEAT PROBLEMS. I OWNED A LENOVO THAT HAD JUMPY KEYBOARD, HATED USING IT.
I LIKE TO BE ABLE CONNECT THE LAPTOP TO TV TO VIEW THE MOVIES I DOWNLOADED.
NUMBER OF USB PORTS ARE IMPORTANT. CARD READER? PREFERABLY, I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE 3.0 ONES. Also, IF POSSIBLE I WOULD LIKE TO USE XP. IF NOT OH WELL!

THANKS FOR TAKING TIME AND ANSWERING MY QUESTION.