Another College Gaming Laptop Thread

harrikie

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
1. What is your budget?

Preferably around $1400, but can go couple hundred higher.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?

Portable, so less than or equal to 15.6. I need to carry it around to classes, so it can't be an 18 inch, 50 lb monster.

3. What screen resolution do you want?

Greater than or equal to 720p will be fine. I'm thinking of getting an external monitor for gaming, so resolution is not a big deal.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?

Portable. More portable the better.

5. How much battery life do you need?

At least 4 hours unplugged (while doing less-demanding work, like typing), but I can buy another battery (so I guess at minimum 2 hours).

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?

I mostly play Starcraft II, and I would prefer it if I can play smoothly in High settings. It would be great if I can play other modern games (like Battlefield: BC 2) in high settings too.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

Going to watch some movies and do college work (essays, etc.). Nothing big.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?

300 GB or more. I already have a 1TB external hard drive, so it's not too important.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.

Any reputable sites will be fine.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?

Probably around 4 years. :/

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?

DVD-RW will be fine.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.

No preference, as long as the brand is known to be reliable.

13. What country do you live in?

Good ol' United States.

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I'm thinking of getting a monitor, keyboard, and a mouse to keep at my dorm for gaming. Is this a good idea? If so, then it would be awesome if you can also suggest a good monitor. :]

bbgink

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
ASUS G53JW-XA1 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop : Core i7-740QM, 6GB DDR3 1066MHz, 500GB HDD (7200RPM), Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics, Super Multi DVD
@ http://www.amazon.com/G53JW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00486USL8/

bbgink

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2010
ASUS G53JW-XA1 15.6-Inch Gaming Laptop : Core i7-740QM, 6GB DDR3 1066MHz, 500GB HDD (7200RPM), Nvidia GTX 460M Graphics, Super Multi DVD
@ http://www.amazon.com/G53JW-XA1-Republic-Gamers-15-6-Inch-Gaming/dp/B00486USL8/

Hello harrikie;

You'll need a graphics card that is powerful enough to work with your external monitor - not just your laptop screen.
Ideally, your laptop and external screens would have the same resolution.

A GTX 460M should get you the type of gaming experience you mentioned.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

harrikie

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Thank you everyone! WR2's Sager NP8130 seems to be the best bet right now.

So if GTX 460M seems to be right for me, are there any 460M laptops with Optimus? From the things I hear, it seems to be able to save a lot of battery life when it is not gaming.

TRENDING THREADS