Quad core i7 laptop

Koreanfcow

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hello,

2 questions:
1) Trying to find out whether the new i7-2620m has similar performance to the older i7-740qm. I realize the latter is quad core, but lower clock speed.
2) can't find a 13" laptop with a quad core chip right now like the i7-2630qm. Anybody know of one?

Thanks!

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Trying to find out whether the new i7-2620m has similar performance to the older i7-740qm.
In terms of power by core, it's a step up in terms of performance and power efficiency. But as it's lacking two cores, it cannot really compete with the 740qm when applications take full advantage of all four cores - it's comparing apples and oranges: it's meaningless. By the way, don't be fooled by the low clock speeds of i7's - they've got a lot more oomph under the hood.

can't find a 13" laptop with a quad core chip right now like the i7-2630qm.
Yeah usually these i7 quads are for 15"+ laptops. Are you looking for a particular type of 13" laptop? What are you going to use it for? Could you fill in the FAQ in the sticky?

Koreanfcow

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hi Bacterius,

Thanks for the reply.

Primarily going to be using it to run VMWare. I do a lot of product demos with the VM running a full web and app server, db server and ms office to display the deck. This also needs to be broadcasted over webbed and a mobile broadband connection.

I wouldn't mind the older quad core processor if I can find it in a 13" form factor. Don't really care about looks. Weight and battery life are probably higher on my list after performance.

-a