Accessing bios problem on hp dv5

kenforster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
I am installing a new hard disc on hp pavillion dv5 and need to alter Ide/sata settings in bios to allow recognition of disc by windows.Bios will only allow me access to alter time and date,none of the other options will highlight,any help would be greatly appreciated

PudgyChicken

Distinguished
May 17, 2010
Like most consumer grade PC's, your BIOS settings are locked. You can't change them.

need to alter Ide/sata settings in bios to allow recognition of disc by windows

What do you mean by this? If this is a new drive and if you're not seeing the drive in "My Computer," it's not because the drive is in the wrong mode, it's because it isn't formatted yet. To format a drive, right click on "My Computer" or "Computer" (depending on what version of Windows you have), click "Manage," go to "Disk Management," right click on the new disc, and select "New Simple Volume." It'll bring up a wizard which will walk you through formatting your new disc and assigning a letter.

I can't be sure what your issue is, but there could be a way to fix your problem from within Windows.

kenforster

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2011
Hi ,thanks for advice but I dont think I explained properly,Hdd has been formatted in a caddy before installing in laptop, trying to install windows and it stops with blue screen error message.No hdd installed or recognised,going into bios to change sata settings to ide and I do not have access to anything in bios other than time and dateI can only scroll between time/date and error report using arrow keys.I have done this 2 or 3 times before on other machines with no problems

babatuni

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2011