Thinkpad Edge or T60?

hasniali

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I am going to buy a notebook. I could get a T60 at half a price as compared to Thinkpad Edge 15. T60 is a used laptop but in good condition but with no warranty but Edge is a new one with one year warranty. All I want in a laptop is durability and long life.
T60: 14 inch, 2.0 Core 2 Duo 7200, 2GB Ram DDR2, 80 GB HDD, Combo drive
Edge: 15.6 inch, 2.6 core i3, 2GB Ram DDR3, 250 GB HDD, Super Drive
Please suggest.

Solution
T60 is an actual ThinkPad, the Edge is really a ThinkPad in name only. It's built cheaper. I'd go with a T60, unless you need the extra speed for something and the large screen. An issue you will have with a used laptop is the battery live is almost always an issue, and the T60 has poor battery life even new. It also has a known issue where the main fan dies or gets noisy. Easy to fix with a $20 part though.
T60 is an actual ThinkPad, the Edge is really a ThinkPad in name only. It's built cheaper. I'd go with a T60, unless you need the extra speed for something and the large screen. An issue you will have with a used laptop is the battery live is almost always an issue, and the T60 has poor battery life even new. It also has a known issue where the main fan dies or gets noisy. Easy to fix with a $20 part though.

Solution

hasniali

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2011
I bought T60. It shows core temperature as 43-46 C when just browsing etc but when used for long hours, it varies between 51-56 C. Is it a normal temperature? I can also hear the fan if I concentrate a little but its not noisy. I can also feel the air coming out of ducts from the side and back. This laptop is strongly built, feels metal.

I used to but from IBM but now only buy from a vendors who actually builds their products:

Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM
Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
Clevo sells to Sager, VoodooPC, WidowPC and other boutique vendors.
Asus and MSI sell their own stuff

A new sandy bridge laptop from Asus or any Clevo distributor would run you under $1k

http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

Asus and Clevo can be bought in the US from Prostar an Xoticpc; the former's site is a bit easier to navigate.

Clevo http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=4
Asus http://www.pro-star.com/index.cfm?mainpage=product&filter=6