I think my laptop may have been robbed at some point

daniel508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
Hi everyone. I bought a laptop off someone frm ebay a few months ago now. they had used it for a while but recently got a new one. i asked for the dcuments and everything that comes with it but they didnt have them. these people seem to be a little strange. I rang up dell for some support from it because parts stopped working and they said that it is under warranty and they will fix it all for free. however, qafter i said yes to this, I started wondering whether it was a "dodgy" laptop. if so, would dell know that it was robbed if it was? I obviously don't agree with theft and all that, but i paid for the laptop and i need it.
what would happen if it did turn out to be a robbed laptop?
thanks guys

G

if it is indeed stolen, there is not much you can do about it, i doubt dell would know if it was anyways!

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Really, I wonder how your laptop could have been robbed. Did it tell you someone robbed it? I mean who would stick up a laptop? Would the laptop even care if someone tried to rob it? What did the thief want the laptop to give him? What did the laptop do, fight the thief off or run away? Oh yeah, laptops can't run away. Oh well.

daniel508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
haha i wondered what you was on about for a second there. yeah. i bought it off someone who didnt have any retail documents.

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
Dell keeps a very extensive database on stolen units.
my dell was stolen, and it is in the database. if the person who had it stolen reported it to dell, it will be in the list. you can ask.
was there any data on the unit to dig into or had it been formatted?

daniel508

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2010
like i said, i am not sure whether it has been stolen. it could just be that they didnt keep the information. i do not know. thankyou for the help and support.