Solved! Laptop battery holds charge but shuts off in 5 mins after full charge

elitescouter

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
I have an Extenza 4620Z, recently I started getting the "Consider replacing your battery" message and it says 100% then after 5 mins it goes down to 5% and shuts down. Can't start up so I thaught ok, time for a battery replacement. I tore the battery appart and it reads 12v after it said it was drained and wouldn't start up. Thaught it had a bit juice in it, I hooked up 2 12v fans up to the battery and let them run to drain the battery completly. The fans ran for 14 hours! WTF??? If the battery is dead, and the computer won't start up then how did it run dual 12v fans (from xbox 360) for 14 hours!.

The battery can't be bad if it did that, the fans were screaming all night long until I woke up and then they started to get weaker until they stopped completly after 14 hours. Fully charged the battery again and turned my laptop on and the message was back... "Consider replacing your battery". Unplugged the power cable and it died 5 minutes later.

Anyone have any ideas what I can do to fix this besides buy a new battery and hope it works?

Solution

electrontau

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
How do you use your laptop? Is the AC adapter plugged in all the time? If yes, and the battery in plugged in, it is being charged all the time and this will shorten the battery life. I know because it happened to me. The battery will not hold charge even if it shows 100%.

If AC adapter is plugged in all the time, remove the battery and store it in a dark cool place.

My mistake cost me $240US.

elitescouter

Distinguished
May 29, 2009
It's always plugged in unless I park somewhere and I know ill be out in less than an hour then when I shut my car off the laptop runs on battery. This laptop is mounted in my car and when the car is on thats when it's charging.

cbrunnem

Distinguished
Dec 19, 2010

a battery can have volts but no amps and still run things. i race karts and the starters sometime will not work when the battery shows 13 volts and its because the battery has not amps in it. load test that battery and it will fail.

Solution