Buying acer AO522-BZ897 netbook - need ram advice

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
OK so I have decided on this netbook.

http://www.microcenter.com/single_product_results.phtml?product_id=0355304

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834215021&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Netbooks-_-Acer+America-_-34215021

Acer AO522-BZ897

The only question I have is:

1. The max upgradable ram amount? Sounds like 4gb.

2. Will 4gb of ram kill the battery life? Help performance enough to justify itself? Or would 2 gb be good enough?

2b: if it does drain battery life sooner, by how much?

3. What is the normal battery life on this model if I'm just browsing the internet, say, browsing newegg 24/7?

My main uses for this are:

google earth

inSSIDer with GPS logging

peer block with perm allow frequently used (very cpu intensive)

netstumbler with GPS logging

firefox and thunderbird

Side note: people in newegg reviews report the screen is "glossy". What does that mean? Is the screen clear? Does it use glass like the sony vaio notebooks? I tried a sony vaio notebook and the screen was unbelievably clear.

Solution
I have the same netbook (AO522-BZ499), I don't know what the difference is, but the specs seems identical. Anyway as it was stated before, Windows 7 Starter will limit the RAM to 2GB (excluding the 256MB used by the GPU I think), but it can physically support 4GB (only 1 DIMM). Upgrading should change much to the battery life as the voltage required is controller, anyway with only 1GB the netbook seems slower so it might be less effective to keep only 1GB. For battery life, my personal experience is 5-6hrs using wireless, but not watching HD video.

If you want to upgrade your netbook, you can go check my blog entry on my experience doing so.
1. Windows 7 Starter edition is limited to 2GB of RAM.
2. No amount of RAM would kill the battery life. 2GB will definitely help. Windows 7 Starter is limited to 1GB in the Netbook when shipped.
3.. 6hrs is the claim. Your experience will differ. Try and find an independent review for your model for the best available info.

Glossy (glare) vs Matte (non-glare) are the two types of LCD screens.
http://www.squidoo.com/matte-vs-glossy-screens

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I have the same netbook (AO522-BZ499), I don't know what the difference is, but the specs seems identical. Anyway as it was stated before, Windows 7 Starter will limit the RAM to 2GB (excluding the 256MB used by the GPU I think), but it can physically support 4GB (only 1 DIMM). Upgrading should change much to the battery life as the voltage required is controller, anyway with only 1GB the netbook seems slower so it might be less effective to keep only 1GB. For battery life, my personal experience is 5-6hrs using wireless, but not watching HD video.

If you want to upgrade your netbook, you can go check my blog entry on my experience doing so.

Solution

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
I should have noted that I would install windows 7 ultimate as soon as I received it to clear all the bloatware.

Would I be accurate in describing glossy screens as looking like glass? http://www.notebookreview.com/assets/zepto/6214w_sidebyside_glossy.jpg

Glossy looks a lot clearer.

Anyways, it won't matter as I've chosen the netbook I want - I was just curious.

I am still wondering if I should go with 24 gb or 4gb. I'm leaning towards 4gb as ultimate 32 bit will use 3.2 of it or something like that? 3 is always better than 1 or 2.

My only remaining question of significance/importance is what kind of ram the netbook takes.

Secondly, where the lowest price 4gb stick is for sale that is worth getting and not junk.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes, "glossy" is the most reflective surface.

As for the 2GB vs 4GB, I though of it too and decided to just go for the 4GB since it's only ~20$ difference and I don't want to have to open that thing up again :p.

The netbook seems to be using DDR3-1333 and the "cheapest 4GB worth getting" is probably the G.SKILL F3-10600CL9S-4GBSQ; that is what I used and it worked just fine.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Thanks, I will be ordering that along with the netbook today ;)

$40 is really cheap :D

I guess that answers my questions.

Only other thoughts I have are:

SSD - worth it or not?

Carrying case with a handle? Perhaps one that is hard shelled like a briefcase?

Bluetooth module? My 1005ha didn't come with the bluetooth but I was able to buy the module and install it.

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My problem with putting an SSD in there is mostly price. I mean this netbook costs 250-300$ and, unless you don't need lots of storage space and 64GB is enough, an SSD might actually double that price :-/. Moreover, the CPU is "only" a dual-core 1GHz, it's not like it will ever be lightning fast. Just by adding the RAM, you will see a nice speed improvement, I don't know if it's worth putting an SSD on top of that.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Zenthar

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
For that kind of product, Walmart would be as good as any other; this is a sealed box, it's not as if they could have done anything to make it worst :p. As for the memory, Patriot is is good brand and the spec seems to match what I bought so I don't see why it wouldn't work.