Solved! Reinstalling Windows on new laptops

moonjelly

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2010
I was thinking about buying a new laptop. Now the ones I'm used to are the old Dells that allow you to fully re-install Windows XP Pro from scratch, with custom partitioning. I know that new laptops don't really come with reinstall CD's, and I know you can make one usually from the program the laptop comes with, but will it allow you to do a full format and re-install of Windows 7? Just like if I bought Windows 7 retail?

I was looking into a Asus, HP, or Toshiba.

Solution
I think all windows 7 dvd's are the same, either a 32 bit version or a 64 bit version. It is the product key that tells if you have a oem, retail, upgrade license, or basic, home, ultimate.

I have used the product key on the bottom of a laptop with 64 bit w7 to convert it to 32 bit.

You will lose any special recovery features or bloatware that was initially installed.

Crashman

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I'm sure someone will come up the precise answer for that question, but I just wanted to let you know about the alternative: You can use a different Windows CD to perform the installation, using your license. The laptop has the license, not the CD.

geofelt

Distinguished
I think all windows 7 dvd's are the same, either a 32 bit version or a 64 bit version. It is the product key that tells if you have a oem, retail, upgrade license, or basic, home, ultimate.

I have used the product key on the bottom of a laptop with 64 bit w7 to convert it to 32 bit.

You will lose any special recovery features or bloatware that was initially installed.

Solution