Changing laptop screen for higher resolution

iball8888

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2010
Hey guys I have a Sony vaio that uses a 1600x900 resolution, I was wondering if it was possible to replace the screen with one that is 1080p?

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
One thing you can do is go to a site like LCDS4LESS.com or similar, and look up your model and see what they have- if a screen was made for that model with higher res, they will generally have it.
I have upgraded some D830 units to x1200 screens that way, and they just fit right in and worked.
that being said, it is a lot of work and dangerous for your notebook if you do not have experience with such upgrades. If you feel confident - Grreat! if not, Get help.

Savvy_01

Honorable
Feb 24, 2013
I know this is old and more likely than not dead, but I was wondering: What is all that dangerous about switching screens? Granted, I've only begun to switch my first screen ever but... it was quite literally the simplest thing you could possibly do next to RAM upgrades/switching. Unscrew the screws, unplug the adapter plug and make sure to not break the webcam cable (if it's there) and the sensor cable. I want to know just in case I've already permanently screwed up this laptop without knowing it.

Josephisblessed

Estimable
Apr 8, 2014
you can just check to see if it has the same pin count and location of the ribbon cable 40pin is the norm for newer laptop's I my self have been looking into the chance of upgrading to a 1920x1080 3D upgrade out side of the optical drive needing to be upgraded to 3D you need to upgrade the monitor, 3D rendering is already built into most window's 7 and above laptop's as well so just go for it