Solved! Compaq Cq60 Amd Win7 Ultimate

Peettreedish

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Recently a friend of mine had an igp blowout on his laptop. We replaced the motherboard with a used part that he had purchased on ebay. The part was guaranteed to work (whatever that meant) and came with a warranty.

Any way the board was replaced, but now the keyboard sometimes freezes right in the middle of using it. Like sending an email or sometimes the backspace doesn't work after boot. I have already pulled the keyboard back off and reinstalled it, just to make sure that it was in right. I have also updated the bios to f.54 from f.34.. It had mentioned that the update had fixes for the computer to make it compatible with modern Windows Os's.
Now my question is basically this.. Should i need to re-install the os? I mean every thing about the new (used) board is exactly the same as the old one.
The part numbers matched the igp was the same, every thing booted fine like there had never been a problem at all except for this.

I have also seen that some have suggested performing a hard reset by removing the battery and unplugging it from power. I do not know if he has tried this yet because I just read about it and called him about fifteen minutes ago.

Any help would be appreciated.....

Solution
Well, if the hardware connection between the keyboard and the mobo look good, I'd just go a head and reinstall windows. You can do an in place install first though to see if that helps before wiping the whole works to do a fresh install. I think this option will save you a lot of headaches in the near terms trying to figure it out. However, if the in place install or a fresh install doesn't solve the issue, it's probably a hardware issue that will most likely take a new keyboard to fix or at least rule out an actual keyboard problem.
Well, if the hardware connection between the keyboard and the mobo look good, I'd just go a head and reinstall windows. You can do an in place install first though to see if that helps before wiping the whole works to do a fresh install. I think this option will save you a lot of headaches in the near terms trying to figure it out. However, if the in place install or a fresh install doesn't solve the issue, it's probably a hardware issue that will most likely take a new keyboard to fix or at least rule out an actual keyboard problem.

Solution