Solved! Question on Laptop motherboard upgrade

joshRS85

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2010
So here is my question, i bought a laptop on ebay (not a bad deal, and not a bad laptop) its a privatly made one called L1V, has been great but i would like to upgrade a few things on it.

I need to know if i can upgrade the motherboard in it, and if i can how do i know it will fit? Im not at all scared to open it up and disasemble it, just want to know where to shop and buy the actual motherboard. The reason i want to do this is because i want to keep the body, screen and all that and just make it a powerhouse for gaming and personal use. I thought about upgrading the processor, ram, HDD, and video card, but im sure there are motherboard compat issues. so i figgured ill just do it all. unless someone out there can tell me this is a bad idea and i can replace all parts without changing the mobo.

Here are a list of whats inside already:
CPU: 2.27 gigahertz Intel Core i3 M 350 (not 2nd Gen)
Mobo: BIOS: American Megatrends Inc. 07R40020 12/03/2010 / Bus Clock: 133 megahertz
Vid Card: NVIDIA GeForce GT 335M [Display adapter]
RAM: Slot 'DIMM0' has 2048 MB (serial number 0BF30C6E) / Slot 'DIMM2' has 2048 MB (serial number 9CF80C6D)
Question - It read on the website i did a test to see whats inside, and registers a slot 3 / 4 , is this true? i only see 2 slots!
HDD: TOSHIBA MK3265GSX [Hard drive] (320.07 GB) -- drive 0, s/n X04LBCBDB

Any help is appreciated! Thank you!

Solution
Laptop motherboard don't have a standard form factor, so about the only motherboard you could find that would be guaranteed to work would be the exact same one.

90% of the time, laptop motherboards are not replaceable, and even if they were it wouldn't be worth the hassle of fandangling the parts into alignment and the ease with which you could damage something, especially if something ended up being set wrong.

This is not to mention that something tells me motherboards would cost 50% of the laptop's price anyway, since it's a combination of motherboard and graphics card (assuming you'd be getting a dedicated GPU, since you seem to be seeking performance).

If the video card is what is disturbing you, then I'm sorry to say you'd be...

wannaturnuptheheat

Distinguished
Jul 23, 2010
Laptop motherboard don't have a standard form factor, so about the only motherboard you could find that would be guaranteed to work would be the exact same one.

90% of the time, laptop motherboards are not replaceable, and even if they were it wouldn't be worth the hassle of fandangling the parts into alignment and the ease with which you could damage something, especially if something ended up being set wrong.

This is not to mention that something tells me motherboards would cost 50% of the laptop's price anyway, since it's a combination of motherboard and graphics card (assuming you'd be getting a dedicated GPU, since you seem to be seeking performance).

If the video card is what is disturbing you, then I'm sorry to say you'd be better off just getting a new laptop and selling this one. And if you really want a 'powerhouse for gaming', you'd be much better with a desktop (half the price for at least the same performance from an equivalent laptop), unless something drives you to want a laptop (although bear in mind that the more powerful it is, the more quickly the battery will drain, so you quickly reach a wall where the performance gained does not justify the lack of portability).

Solution