Asus t101mt performance + incorrect battery and mis-advertised ram

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006
1. Performance is TERRIBLE. For a cpu faster than n270, it doesn't perform like it. It has an n455 but it's so slow. Is it because of all the bloatware?

2. On the box, the battery says 4 cell. On the walmart web page it says 6 cell. On the laptop itself it says 6.5 hours (6 cell)

3. On walmart site it also says "2gb DDR3" but it comes with 1gb ddr2 + 1gb on board (not sure what that's about)

What can I do for each of these?

Solution
Netbooks are not powerful. I had an 1005hab eepc netbook and first thing I did was reinstall win7 to get rid of the crap that came with it next I replaced the one gig stick with 2 gigs for a total of 3 gigs.it wasn't blazing but way batter than when I first got it.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Windows 7 pro

And the thing is, the n270 with 1gb was a lot faster. I am going to try formatting and installing windows 7 ultimate which did wonders for 2 computers already, including the n270 with 1gb.

That's the only thing I can think of that will help.

I heard about drive cloning so that I can just put it back the way it is now?

Is there any free programs that will do that? I would like to put it back to factory settings if I decide to take it back after all.

It did not come with any cd's and I'm not sure about a recovery option.

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Checking now

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

first of all, it has only boosted the speed of the 1005ha and another sony notebook compared to the OS it comes with and the bloatware.

Second, I have a copy of it already that I got from a friend. He works at a store I can't name and gets them dirt cheap

And I assume this means I have 2gb.

Which would only leave the performance issue (up to me to test) and the battery.

christop

Distinguished
Sep 30, 2008
Netbooks are not powerful. I had an 1005hab eepc netbook and first thing I did was reinstall win7 to get rid of the crap that came with it next I replaced the one gig stick with 2 gigs for a total of 3 gigs.it wasn't blazing but way batter than when I first got it.

Solution

casemods

Distinguished
Sep 1, 2006

Exactly. I know the performance right now isn't terrible, but the cpu is always maxed out which almost never happened on the 1005ha.

Not only that but 700mb of ram are ALWAYS being used even with nothing running.

This is actually a GOOD thing.
What is the use of having all that RAM if it's not getting used?
You can expect performance to improve over time (a fairly short period) as Win7 gets familar with the system, it's programs and how you use the system.

There are guides out there on how to optimize Win7 to run on low performance systems.