Suggestions for a mid-range laptop capable of gaming?

Katrar

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Many thanks to the community for taking questions of this nature. And here's another one. =)

1. What is your budget?
~800 USD, can be slightly flexible on that but would prefer to keep it at or under that amount.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
Highly prefer 15.6", can't do a 16-17"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
Would prefer >1366x768 if possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
>1.5 hours would be nice

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Yes I would be playing games. It would be nice to be able to play most modern MMO's at medium+ (I play Rift currently), and perhaps a few shooters at medium. Basically, yes I'm hoping for a laptop that could at least play a range of games at moderate levels, without frustrating me with single digit FPS.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
All the ins and outs of web surfing, watching videos/movies, lots of MS Office use, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
At least 250gb

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I am open to purchasing from any reputable business, brick and mortar or online.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
50 years, though I'd be pleased with 2-3. =)

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DVD-ROM at minimum.

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I do not have any preconceptions about particular brands. Besides, I'm sure you guys know the particulars of brand quality better than I do.

13. What country do you live in?
USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
A barebones, no OS laptop is also perfectly acceptable. I have an unused copy of Win 7 that could finally be put to use.
Thanks for any suggestions. =)

Katrar

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
I've found two interesting suggestions to other users, along with any individual suggestions, could someone clue me in as to which of these might be the better deal?

The first, an ASUS N53Jq-XT1, priced at $799 from $1199:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=6701574&sku=A50-15650

The second, a Sager NP5160 customized from Xoticpc. A few upgrades brings it around 800ish dollars, and not having to purchase an OS saves a bit.
http://www.xoticpc.com/sager-np5160-clevo-w150hn-pre-order-p-2999.html?wconfigure=yes

Thanks! Looking forward to hearing an opinion or two. =)

Katrar

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2011
Yeah that does look like a very solid choice. And fortunately, by "not having to buy the OS" I meant I wouldn't have to buy the OS. =P I have a spare copy of Win 7 here at home.