Core speed increase after BIOS update

Bref

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Hi everybody!

My notebook is a Compaq Presario V5025EA with Mobile AMD Sempron 3300+ (Albany) and 2x256 DIMM banks.

Since I recently updated the BIOS from version F.41 to version F.54, i'm having some troubles. The core-temperature is now about 88°C, the fan became very noisy and often the notebook shuts down automatically (I think cause the too high temperature). Trying to understand the cause of that, i noticed these differences in the CPUID report, before and after the BIOS update:

BIOS F.41
Core Speed: 796.0 MHz
Multiplier x FSB: 4.0 x 199.0 MHz

BIOS F.54
Core Speed: 1989.9 MHz
Multiplier x FSB: 10.0 x 199.0 MHz

Is this core speed change normal? Is it the cause of the high temperature? What can I do to mantain it in accettable ranges? I tried to downgrade till to BIOS F.41 A (the F.41 isn't available on the Compaq site), but nothing changes.

Thank you in advance and sorry for my English. :)

Hello Bref;

Your English is fine.
Mobile AMD Sempron 3300+ normal speed is ~2Ghz (1989.9 MHz). Your Albany version is a hot CPU compared the Roma version.
It's running at full speed is certainly the reason it's hot and running loud.
Are there options in the BIOS to set the multi to 4/5/6?

You should probably run this question by the HP Community forums. There might be another Albany owner who knows the answer.
HP Consumer Support Forum Named Best Online Community

http://www.notebookcheck.net/AMD-Mobile-Sempron-3300-Notebook-Processor.37717.0.html
Albany Thermal Design Power 62W
Roma Thermal Design Power 25W

Bref

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
Thank you for your very fast reply WR2!

Unfortunately there aren't any options in the BIOS to customize the CPU speed.
Then you're saying that with the old BIOS parameters my notebook wasn't working at it's full capacities, was it?
I'll try to ask in the HP support Forum as you suggested me! :)