Solved! Revived Laptop Is Too Hot - Please Help

FixItQuick

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
Laptop - Sony Vaio VGN-NR31J
GPU - 8400M GT

Backstory-
About a year ago my laptop died(Nothing would be displayed) due to the GPU overheating. My laptop has one of the faulty nvidia GPU's which is prone to overheating but since it was outside the warranty period i was unable to get it fixed. Recently I fixed the GPU by reflowing it using my oven.

The Problem

Upon logging into my laptop I logged into the guest account to find that my GPU temperature was at around 105 which worried me so I reduced my resolution and my colour settings in an attempt to reduce the GPU temperature. The idle temp now with minimum settings is:

GPU: 80-93C
CPU: 50C

How can reduce the temperatures by a significant amount so that I don't overheat the GPU again?. I need to make a very significant change because it's very common for Sony Vaio laptops to overheat.

Specific Questions:

1. Should i apply new thermal paste?
2. Should i mod my Sony Vaio case by cutting a gap under the fan?
3. Should I buy a laptop cooler? - Any specific?
4. How can i reduce the temperatures?.

Solution
Out of the options you mentioned, I recommend definitely applying new thermal paste, as that should help bring the temps down. From there, depending on the temps you are seeing, I'd go with a cooling pad to try and bring the temps down a few more degrees, as it may be within a decent range then.
Out of the options you mentioned, I recommend definitely applying new thermal paste, as that should help bring the temps down. From there, depending on the temps you are seeing, I'd go with a cooling pad to try and bring the temps down a few more degrees, as it may be within a decent range then.

Solution

warezme

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2006
I agree with buwish, remove the GPU cooler, reapply thermal paste, preferably good brand name and make sure heat sink is properly seating and making good contact with GPU. Cooling pads/stands are also a great idea. I have one for my older m15x with 9800GTX. Without it, it can hit 105C when gaming. With it, it tops out about 85C. I have already had one GPU replaced, in warranty, but like you it is now out of warranty and have been shopping for a replacement. I am leaning toward something with an ATI 6970m.