Solved! Should I wait until this summer to buy a laptop?

JJBanksIII

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Hello everybody I was wanting to get some opinions on whether I should wait until this summer to buy a new laptop. I am in college now and will be entering medical school within a year and am looking for a medium range-high range laptop that will pretty much act as my desktop. I was going to buy one now but I have been reading that this summer, a lot more sandy bridge laptops are going to become available. I am not too concerned with gaming as I do not play any high end pc games (the only games I play are on a limited basis and they are starcraft 1 and age of mythologies 1& 2), battery life is somewhat important however most of the time i will be plugged in. Performance by the processor is very important to me. I want the laptop to be fast but it doesn't have to be the top of the line. So should I wait until more sandy bridge laptops this summer, or go ahead and pull the trigger on another good laptop now? by the way my budget is around the $900 range. Also any suggested brands, makes and models would be appreciated. Thanks.

Solution
For your needs it almost sounds like any of the current models, if the get pushed down to clearance levels by the arrival of the new SB units would be great. problem with that is that is that there may be no stock to be on clearance.. the SB issue has cause a delay in shipping new models, while the older models already stopped shipping. I am seeing much lower stock than I expected due to this delay. I was also planing to get one and hoping that the new models would force the price down on the current ones... that being said, 900.00 will get you a great core i7 SB with switchable graphics and 8 gb ram , with a little shopping around. for Med school I recommend a high res display ( 1080 ) for some of the in depth online texts with...

randomstar

Distinguished
May 2, 2007
For your needs it almost sounds like any of the current models, if the get pushed down to clearance levels by the arrival of the new SB units would be great. problem with that is that is that there may be no stock to be on clearance.. the SB issue has cause a delay in shipping new models, while the older models already stopped shipping. I am seeing much lower stock than I expected due to this delay. I was also planing to get one and hoping that the new models would force the price down on the current ones... that being said, 900.00 will get you a great core i7 SB with switchable graphics and 8 gb ram , with a little shopping around. for Med school I recommend a high res display ( 1080 ) for some of the in depth online texts with graphics and illustrations to be more viewable. for that you may be able to drop the switchable graphics and use the SB intigrated, and it will be more than enough with lowered details in the games you play.. (i would get the Optimus graphics and the display, even if it means adding a little to the budget)

Solution