Refurbished laptop help

G

Hello,
I was going to buy a refurbished laptop, but I don't know how to tell if it will be any good. I would be buying it as more of a stop-gap so I'm not too bothered but I would like to be able to watch movies without any trouble, use the internet without any problems etc.
The specs are:
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
60Gig Hard Drive
Nero 7
Intel Dual Core 1.66Ghz
mobile intel 945GM graphics card

Its an ACER ASPIRE 5630 and would be costing me arounf £150.

I know the graphics card isnt good for gaming and the hard drive space is smallish, but apart from that what do the people that would know think?

Cheers one and all

Gaz

phos

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you have the option not to choose a Aspire - do it. Since it's a consumer-level product the quality aren't that high. This would also apply to Compaq Presario, Pavilion etc etc. I would go for a enterprise-level product in Acers case, Travelmate, which is much better built.

Just my opinion ;)

G

Hey man, thanks for the reply.

Whats the actual effect of it being a consumer-level product though?
I'd probably be intending to be another, new and more expensive laptop at some point in the near future, so is it that the Aspire just isn't that long lasting, or will is it so bad as to be unusable, or somewhere in between?

Thanks for the help

phos

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
Np. Glad to share if you find my experiance useful :)
If you will use it for a shorter time, then I think you'll be fine. I can just compare between me and a friend where I have a Travelmate and he had a Aspire. We both bought them during the same year - 2005. We both hauled our laptops to school every day, used it for extended periods each day and some light gaming. To say that we treated our laptops exemplary is not exactly true :) Mine has - after all these years only a couple of cracks in the hinges of the screen. His has died due to defective screen, overheating - the cooling failed, brocken keyboard - among few things.

Since a few years back I have stoped to buy brand new laptops. Mostly since the good ones are quite expensive. I usually buy refurbished, 2 year old laptops. Dell Latitude and Lenovo/Ibm Thinkpad. These laptops are often built like tanks and my Thinkpad T42 stil runs really good, although it starts to show it's age :) Here in Sweden you can now find Dell Latitude E6400, the bigger models which has the better screens, for really good prices. Since I have a stationary at home my laptops usually don't require the best performance. A C2D is more then enough for what I use it for - which is C# development on-the-go.

G

Cool, thanks for the info man.

Is there any thoughts on what the specs are like, as opposed to the make and model?

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Hello,
I was going to buy a refurbished laptop, but I don't know how to tell if it will be any good. I would be buying it as more of a stop-gap so I'm not too bothered but I would like to be able to watch movies without any trouble, use the internet without any problems etc.
The specs are:
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
60Gig Hard Drive
Nero 7
Intel Dual Core 1.66Ghz

I know the graphics card isnt good for gaming and the hard drive space is smallish, but apart from that what do the people that would know think?

Cheers one and all

Gaz

2 gigs is the minimum for vista...if you can get some more ram in it do so, it will make it more livable.

phos

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
If you mean on the one you're looking at....
As Lupinesithlord said - more ram is always good. If you can fit more in that is a plus. But since you stated that you would get a new one soon I wouldn't put more money on it - better to save it for the new one ;)

G

How runnable would it be with just 2 gigs though? Borrowed a relatives laptop for about 6 months that ran Vista fine and I'm pretty sure it was on 1 gig Ram. This was another refurbished one.

Thanks again for all the help

phos

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2011
The bottom line is what you yourself can tolerate.
If your fine with 2GB ram then it's enough for you ;)
I would say that it would run just fine, but more ram - especially in Windows - is really nice to have.

Thanks. Np what so ever... :)

musical marv

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2011
Hello,
The specs are:
Windows Vista
2GB RAM
60Gig Hard Drive
Nero 7
Intel Dual Core 1.66Ghz

Cheers one and all

Gaz
If you can save a little more money try buying a G-4 Macbook. You will not regret it in the end. Acer is mediocre.Quality control not good either.mf