My ASUS Laptop immediately turns off when I unplug the power, anyone?

Shpati

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2008
It weird, I only had my laptop for no more than 6 months (got it brand new in late August). I only used the battery a couple of times. Since I usually leave it at home, I took at the battery and left it in a good place (no magnetic attractions, or liquids or anything else like that). So I have not used the battery for a really long time (probably like 5 months), so it should still be like new I would think. When I finally needed to take it some place, it only turns on when I have the power cord plugged in. It will not turn on if I just have the battery in. I checked all the settings, they all look fine. I have not restored the settings to default yet, I do not think that is the problem. The icon says that the battery is charging, but it has been hanging at 89 percent for from since I tried to use it and it still is. Do you think I have to get a new battery. I still have about 2 years and a half of warranty, does warranty cover batteries? I have tried many things. Tried enabling all start up items, re installing the battery drivers. I was thinking it could be one of the processes that is messed up and will not allow my battery charge, is that a possibility? I even wiped the battery and where it is suppose to be put in. Anyone got a solution? Battery is like brand new for sure. I just find it hard to believe that is is dead and has no more life even though I only had it plugged in only for a couple of times. Will I have to go on the ASUS website and update drivers? I doubt that is the problem, but could it be (Drivers, BIOS, and all of that)? It has been charging for more about 2 hours now, probably more and it is still at 89 percent and has been their since I tried to use the battery till now. Anyone know how I can make the laptop run on battery instead of the AC power cord (just in case that is the problem).

I am using the factory battery that came with this laptop.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220696

ASUS N61 Series N61JQ-X1 NoteBook Intel Core i7 720QM(1.60GHz) 16" 4GB Memory DDR3 1066 320GB HDD 7200rpm DVD Super Multi ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5730

kellyjo

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I have a different Asus model, but same problems as yours. Started after I had the laptop for less than a year, but the problem came and went and would never do it for the repair people I would take it to. Tried with Geek Squad twice, no help. Warranty's now expired, but sent it into Asus to see if it would cost less to fix it than to buy a new laptop. They told me it was the battery, replaced it (for $120 plus shipping), and sent it back. Guess what...it's doing the same thing. I have to send it in again, and I am not happy.

Did you ever find a resolution to this problem? I've had nothing but problems with the power to this laptop since it was new. Will never buy Asus again.

shafri

Honorable
Jan 12, 2013
I am using ASUS too, A45V since July 2012, The only problem that I face is when I upgraded to window 8 online in November but all have been resolved by reinstalling the ATKACPI driver, you can download from the driver from asus site. hope it help :hello:

mommajojo

Commendable
Jun 7, 2016
I also use an ASUS. different model but I replaced the battery this weekend. The first day it worked but now once again it won't charge the battery. it says it is. I am not sure what to do from here. My ac charger does get hot though while it is plugged in.