Good Brands?

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
Desktops i know i built my last 3 computers, but what are some good brands for laptops? We have gotten Toshiba in the past and been happy with them.

What about ASUS? Any other brands that have a good background in quality?

Solution
Toshiba doesn't make a laptop .... they sell them but they are made by someone else.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics...
Asus and Toshiba seem to be at the top of the heap in quality.
But all brands usually have variations in quality among the different models.
Premium models, business class machines, gaming, mainsteam and budget, for exampe.

The best thing you can do is search for reviews for a specific model and hope you can find a couple good reviews.

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
I've always been a fan of HPs. I think they have got a lot better over the years, especially with their build quality, finish, and hardware. Just my opinion though.

I have had good experiences with ASUS also, no problems here.

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Toshiba doesn't make a laptop .... they sell them but they are made by someone else.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent.
* Clevo sells to Sager, Eurocom, WidowPC, VoodooPC, Prostar, Xoticpc and other boutique brands.

I'd suggest an Asus or Clevo Sandy Bridge based unit

Where to buy:

http://promos.asus.com/wheretobuy/US/new/index_us.html
http://forum.notebookreview.com/sager-clevo/91510-clevo-guide-v2-0-faq-reseller-info.html

Solution

ko888

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2009
Stay away from HP, Gateway and Acer as they have the worst notebook reliability ratings of the major brands.

ASUS, Toshiba and Sony rank 1, 2 and 3 respectively as the most reliable notebook brands.

Bacterius

Distinguished
Dec 21, 2010
Dell isn't too bad either but it could be better - on one hand I never had any problem with their laptops, on the other hand this means I can't say anything about customer service :p

someguynamedmatt

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
I'm a huge fan of MSI, as captaincharisma said. They look great, and from what I've seen of them, are really quite reliable. I've never had any problems with Dell. Never had an Asus, but they're supposed to be one of the higher quality brands out there.

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011
We finally went with a ASUS and got a 2yr manufactur & 1yr accidental warrenty. Pretty happy with it so far. We bought a Acer at first and it was terrible terrible terrible. such a waste of time/effort..

c911darkwolf

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2011

Um.. Kevin.. hitting the pipe a little hard? HP has a terrible and long history of problems. Look on any website and they always have the highest number of refurbs for sale.

Also got windows removed and linux up and running, her laptop is zooming. Thanks ASUS!