Please Advice a Laptop config for Wireless Security Network

bunnyfeatcathead

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
I am trying to setup a Video Surveillance system

Presently, a Standalone DVR(4 channel) based system is already working.
I want to expand this system through a laptop(how ?? ... explained next).

The Laptop would take VGA signals from Standalone DVR (There is VGA female port in the standalone DVR). In Addition to Above Video Signals from DVR I want to recieve IP camera Signal through a Bluetooth Link.

Besides, the Laptop would serve three more purpose
1) Print through All-in-one printer (Normal printer i.e. with wires not wireless)
2) Get Weight signals from my Electronic Weigher (connected through RS232)
3) Transmit to HDTV (wirelessly)

My Questions are

Q1. 2 DOME camera's and a Standalone DVR is all I have at the movement. I would have to buy the rest. How Can I make this system in the most economical way ?

Q2. The Transmission from Laptop to HDTV have to transmit data from say 4 Dome camera and an IP camera at once. Would I need something like - Intel Centrino - 6000 series (N6200/N6300)sort of a product to do this job ?

Q3. The Laptop while transmitting the desktop to HDTV might also be printing, playing audio in 5.1 and recieving weight signal from the weigher.what processor would I need for this job.

Another Problem is there would quite a few wireless communications going on in between
a) IP Camera and Laptop (Blutooth)
b) Ip Camera and Wireless Internet
c) Laptop and Wireless Internet
d) Laptop and HDTV
e) A codeless phone (works at 2.4 Ghz)

Q4. The last Problem/requirement could be a serious slow-downer b4 system starts working. What do I need to do how do I ensure everything performs at its max and seamlessly with the others ?

pardon me if have complicated the explanation anywhere, please do ask for clarification. Thanks in Advance

Thanks & Regards
BunnyFeatCatHead

bunnyfeatcathead

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hi,

Thanks

I realized a few mins late that may be my topic is misleading as If I am trying to "Tell" when it should be asking for a advice, so I changed the title a little and added another question.

sorry for that !!

Regards
bunnyfeatcathead

Laptops can do VGA output but there is no option for VGA input without having some other equipment involved.

List make and model of IP camera used for the Bluetooth link.

1) Not a problem
2) Laptops no long have RS232 serial ports. However you can get a RS232 to USB adapter like these.
3) Does the HDTV already have a wireless receiver? If not some other equipment will be needed.

Q1. What is your budget for this project?
Q2. Wireless transmitter and wireless receiver on the HDTV.
Q3. The best you can afford.
Q4. The best assurance to get maximum performance from everything involved would seem to indicate you don't want to pile everything on top of one laptop computer.

Have you considered a desktop computer option?

bunnyfeatcathead

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2011
Hi there,

My apologizes for the late reply.... you might have lost track of the thread, I fell sick and was recovering since our last interaction.

Getting Back to the thread you will be able to recall all as you fall through the rest of the post,

A) As far as Playing VGA signal on the laptop:

I have seen TV Tuner cards playing Tv signal on laptops, they convert the incoming signal to MPEG format readily usable for computers but I don't exactly what device would be required to play VGA (from Dome camera's) on the laptops

B) The Wireless Camera's I am thinking about are:

Logitech's - HD Webcam C310 or Webcam C210

C) The Budget for the project are a set of directions as follows

i) As far as the present functionalities, the system should be good enough to do all this
without overloading the Laptop.
These functinalities are:
(1.) The Laptop Will Receive signal from 4 Dome's and 2 Wireless
HD Webcam C310, this managed through a Video-mgmt software
which can organize various signals under a single on-screen control panel
this desktop screen will be displayed on HDTV (basically what ever on laptop
screen gets displayed on the HDTV), these will require processing capacitiy
(2.) simulatneously Laptop receives weighting signal from weigher, prints
and plays audio on altec 5.1
ii) The Laptop should in addition to above be able to take further loading, I am not just buying for the
present needs, more tasks would be added in the future the laptop should be bought considering this that with
a reasonable extensions of hardware to aptop, it should be able to take up further loading.

D) I should clarify The second question here:

"Q2. The Transmission from Laptop to HDTV have to transmit data from say 4 Dome camera and an IP camera at once. Would I need something like - Intel Centrino - 6000 series (N6200/N6300)sort of a product to do this job ?"

What I meant here is that there two ways to transmit from laptop
One is,
1) Attach a External Transmitter on the laptop and Reciever on the HDTV
Other is,
2) Build in Transmiitter in the Laptop like Intel's wireless display

Now there are two things I need to know here

One
A) The Inbuilt type transmitter technology like Intel's wireless display, does this additionally needs Intel Centrino - 6000 series (N6200/N6300), Now N6200 - has Two anteenas and N6300 - has three antennas these multiple anteenas ensure better interaction between the wireless devices by using one antenna for transmission and other for recieving and third one as additional antenna in case when there disconnection in any of the other two ensuring better connectivity.

Would I need this additional Intel centrino along with Intel's wireless display technology or does the Intel's wireless display
already has this feature

Second
B) which one would be better economically and in terms of performance buying inbuilt transmission type or buying the External
transmitter - reciever configuration

E) Regarding the processor you said
"I should buy the best I can get my hands on... "
This actually leaves the question unanswered,
what I am trying to ask about the processor is this

Take for Example Intel's i5 M580 processor, and Core 2 processor

Intel's i5 M580 processor

a> Has Intel's Wireless Display (So gives me built in transmitter but I need to buy reciever from NETGEAR which is a compatible HD reciever for this)
b> Has on chip Graphical processing Unit (I am not sure if this can handle my HDMI requiremnents, if not I would need a Video display card)

So the above Intel's i5 might fullfil the functional needs but will need additional NETGEAR equipment bcz the HDTV reciever(some HDTv have built in like Samsung Series 5 has inbuilt reciever) might not be compatible
Also, though the processor has on chip Graphical processing capability but might still requi+re additional Graphics Card for my HD needs

Given above scenario, a Core 2 Processor with external HD transmitter and reciever and additional Graphics Card might become more economical here

But still i5 could be worth buy considering performance and extendibility because of latest technology that comes along and hence life of system in terms of year it remains non-obsolete bcz of new technologies that may come up

Now, deciding between the two here becomes a quantitative issue bcz here the comaprison is very quantitative and has to be done in terms of
a) performance of the two processors and has to be gauged against performance required as per the need of the system
b) there technological features needs to be compared
c) the cost-worth of the two needs to be compared since economic is an important parameter here

also if there are additional factors that need consideration please bring them into discussion

F) The last one I mentioned was about the various wireless networks working simultaneously

i) Wireless WebCams to Laptop Network
ii) Laptop to HDTV link
iii) Codeless Phone outside the system
iv) Other bluetooth Devices like mobile phones linking with the laptop

All of these Devices (Except may be the Bluetooth links )will be working 2.4 Ghz would they interfere with each other, in that case how to resolve this issue.

G) And about choosing between Laptop and Desktop, It has to be a Laptop.

Thanks in Advance

Regards