VIA 4-in-1 drivers problems!

Raveness

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
When I installed the VIA 4-in-1 drivers, I noticed that in my device manager (I am running Windows 2K Pro), my once IDE's are now SCSI. All my drives (2 HD's and 2 CD's) say it's a SCSI. Now here is the major problem. In my other post (under Windows 2000), I mentioned that my Win2K kept coming up with a missing OS error (I have had to reinstall about 6 times). Someone mentioned that the 4-in-1's could be the problem. So, my Q's are why would it change my IDE's to SCSI's? Could the 4-in-1's cause my OS to suddenly disappear? Is there any way to fix this problem, short of reinstalling again w/o the 4-in-1's?

Here is my config:

Shuttle AK 12 mobo
AMD Athlon 900 Mhz
512MB
Win2K Pro
1st HD-Western Digital 60GB
2nd HD-Maxtor 40GB
Creative CD-RW
Creative CD Drive
if anyone needs anymore info on my config, just ask.

If someone could please help me? Thanks so much in advance.

Hope everyone had a good Christmas!

<b><font color=blue>"May the wings of angels surround and protect you from all the worries
and fears as you walk into the fog of reality."</font color=blue></b>

Raveness

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Hello? Anyone out there? I know my post has been viewed...

<b><font color=blue>"May the wings of angels surround and protect you from all the worries

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Yes. Ive experienced this also. Its due to a bad set of Via drivers.
Did you happen to install the 4.28's?
It can be easily cured by installing a different set of drivers... there are lots of revisions out there online to download.
<A HREF="http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2" target="_new">http://www.viaarena.com/?PageID=2</A>

What you want are the hyperion drivers. They are the latest and greatest and support the entire Via range.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Raveness

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Yes I did happen to install the 4.28's. Ok, I will download the hyperion drivers...once I figure out how badly damaged my mobo is. Besides my mobo issue, thanks for the suggestion on the VIA drivers.

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Hmmm. probably the best thing to do to get rid of that missing OS warning is to do a complete format and install again, get rid of all other instances of fragments of other windows installs on your drive(s).

And dont worry, the bad drivers wont have done any damage, just put on the new ones and you should be right.

<b><i>The Very Hungry Caterpillar</i> - George W. Bush's favorite childhood book.
Note: This book was first published a year after Mr Bush graduated from College.</b>

Raveness

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
Oh, I am not worried that the bad drivers ruined my mobo it's just that I thought it was fried due to the bad PSU that I had. I tried several PSU's but yet, nothing would boot up. I finally got a good PSU last night, so my mobo's ok now. Anyway, when you say for me to do a complete format and get rid of all instances of Windows, do you mean my D drive (on the same hard drive) as well? That is where all my data is (yes I have done a backup of my data). It's just that I am sometimes too lazy to put my data back on the drive. Then again, if that is what is required to get rid of the warning...

lhgpoobaa

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
well to stop the other drive from booting all you should have to do is delete the windows directory (freeing up more room too), and the hidden files in the root directory.
io.sys, command.com etc

Raveness

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2002
I found this answer here in regard to VIA drivers and Win2K. It has an answer for why there are missing OS errors (or whatever). It may not state why the IDE changes to a SCSI, but here it is anyway for anyone's information (don't mind the fact that the link is really long):

<A HREF="http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=SO5Uxmzg&p_lva=&p_faqid=50&p_created=1003438707&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExNCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT01NSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=" target="_new">http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=SO5Uxmzg&p_lva=&p_faqid=50&p_created=1003438707&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExNCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT01NSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=</A>

inambari

Estimable
Feb 19, 2014
hey it is the same problm with me has occured during the installation u can try this http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=SO5Uxmzg&p_lva=&p_faqid=50&p_created=1003438707&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTExNCZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PSZwX3NlYXJjaF90eXBlPTQmcF9jYXRfbHZsMT01NSZwX2NhdF9sdmwyPX5hbnl_JnBfc29ydF9ieT1kZmx0JnBfcGFnZT0x&p_li=

tommyheadcharge

Estimable
Feb 21, 2014
First of all When it comes to Driver's.... Go to the manufacturer of the device you need the driver for! Never use driver update software unless it is from the manufacturer!

You have a Shuttle MOBO... go to Shuttle http://www.shuttle.eu/_archive/older/en/ak12_faq.htm#download this is a link I found for your MOBO... It has all the drivers THEY WROTE FOR THE MOBO. Notice how I said THEY WROTE.... That is why you should always go to the manufacturer, they tweak their drivers to work with their systems....

If you are having issues beyond this I would look into getting NEW HARD DRIVES... You do know they do not manufacture 40GB and 60GB IDE hard drives anymore....
ALL Hard DISK Drives are mechanical and spin at anywhere from 5400 to 15000 RPM's, They are not serviceable, they are susceptible to HEAT, SHOCK (g-force and electrical) and MAGNETISM (since they are a magnetic device to begin with). They begin to degrade from DAY ONE... So don't think they aren't bad, if you aren't sure download a HIREN 10.02 disc or newer and run the DOS program from the HDD manufacturer to test them...

Also, THAT IS AN OLD MOBO... how are the capacitors? Are any swollen and or leaking? If so, then throw the board away and get something newer!