Restore W7 64 image to different machine

jcarberry

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
My HP 2540p bought last week crashed and it will be replaced by a new machine - same model, same everything. I have an image of the original machine and would like to know if that image can be restored to the new machine.

Please - I am not asking how to restore an image. I am asking if an image made on one machine can be restored to a different machine but with identical hardware models.

If it is possible, is there anything I need to do other than just restore the image normally?

Thanks,
J.

Hello jcarberry;

Unless the new [strike]version[/strike] laptop uses different firmware or needs different drivers the image installation should go smoothly.
Odds are greatly in your favor IMO.

jcarberry

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2009
Should I expect any issues with Windows activation, or will the fact that the serial number of the CPU chip will be different have any impact? What about the product key for windows? The new machine will presumably have a different key, no?

Thanks,
J.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Providing the model and hardware configuration are identical then you should be good to go.
The only uncertainty that might cause issues is if there are one or more minor hardware revision differences (not enough to cause a model number change) - more likely if there is a long timeframe between the old and new machines.

I'd give it a try - you are highly unlikely to damage anything, and if successful, you'll save alot of time. Additionally, most modern notebooks/laptops have software pre-installed by the manufacturer to scan and update drivers. Use this as a check afterwards (this might also correct driver issues due to revision changes).

Of course, before you restore your previous image you'll want to create an image from the new machine - murphy's law and all that!

Good luck.

mesab66

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
Forgot about Windows activation! not sure about that one - whether activation is tied to hardware unique codes.
If both Windows versions are the same you might be able to update the product key to that used on the new machine with its original install - I can't remember how to do this though Microsoft should help you on that one - after all you have 2 valid paid licences. I don't see them not helping you with this.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Most likely it will boot, but your hwid will cause it to want to reactivate. Chances are, it'll detect the new hardware and if it's tied to the internet, you should be able to select "activate online" and it will probably just activate and you'll be good to go.