Buying New Laptop Help!

l2p_iwin

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
Ok so, I plan on buying a new laptop for my other half. I have been looking around for a week or so and we plan on buying within a weeks time. I don’t really know much about what are the best laptops to buy. I do know about building desktops and the latest and greatest desktop wise anyways... I am clueless on the laptop market. We had an HP but that was a piece of crap, to many problems to list (along with other HP products I have owned). She has her mind set on Sony for this next purchase. I don’t think I can change her mind (or mine) on this unless there is some other laptop manufacture that far surpasses them on price/performance/quality. I have owned allot of Sony products in the past and now for that matter, and I have been very pleased overall.

Use: movies, surfing the internet, some gaming(If my desktop goes down lol), multi tasking

Price: $600 - $900

Blueray Burner :maybe

Dvd burner : Yes , if not ^

CPU : Intel

Screen size : 14" up to 16"

GPU : Nvidia ( I don’t know if you can get a good Mobile GPU for under a grand) Not a big deal if it jumps up the price to much

Storage: 500gb plus

SSD : Would be nice but not needed. Not sure if you could even have a ssd for windows and a hdd on a laptop.

I know Intel just came out with the 2nd gen SB cpu's. Should We wait for them to come out in the laptops or would the current i5 i7 be fine? Will the cost be higher? are they out now? lmao sry for all the questions, I’m kind of lost on the subject if you haven’t noticed buy now. I know about the P67 chipset bug but some mfg are continuing to make closed configuration systems.

Here are some of the choices I have come up with.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=7105749&SRCCODE=NEXTAG&cm_mmc_o=2mHCjCWw0fzTCjCVqHCjCdwwp&cpncode=25-25416691-2

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sony+-+VAIO+Laptop+/+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i3+Processor+/+14%22+Display+/+4GB+Memory+/+640GB+Hard+Drive+-+White/1892044.p?id=1218299588228&skuId=1892044

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-VPC-EB46FX-BJ-Widescreen-Entertainment/dp/tech-data/B004GKM37S/ref=de_a_smtd

Thanks in advance, any help would be appreciated.

Solution
She should be aware that neither Sony, nor HP ... nor Dell, nor Toshiba, etc actually male laptops.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics...

jkus123

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2011
Check if it is not Refurbished one.
I ordered here in Korea only to know about it later.
I think SONY is best...
Will the prices go down after March 2011?
Anybody has any idea?

She should be aware that neither Sony, nor HP ... nor Dell, nor Toshiba, etc actually male laptops.

The vast majority of laptops on the market are manufactured by a small handful of Original Design Manufacturers (ODM). Major relationships include:

* Quanta sells to (among others) HP/Compaq, Dell, Toshiba, Sony, Fujitsu, Acer, NEC, Gateway and Lenovo/IBM - note that Quanta is currently (as of August, 2007) the largest manufacturer of notebook computers in the world.
* Compal sells to Toshiba, HP/Compaq, Acer, and Dell.
* Positivo Informatica sells to Samsung, Sony, Siragon, Toshiba, HP
* Wistron (former manufacturing & design division of Acer) sells to HP/Compaq, Dell, IBM, NEC, Acer, and Lenovo/IBM.
* Flextronics (former Arima Computer Corporation notebook division) sells to HP/Compaq, NEC, and Dell.
* Itautec sells to Siragon, LG, Samsung, Sony
* ECS sells to IBM, Fujitsu, and Dell.
* Asus sells to Apple (iBook), Sony, and Samsung.
* Inventec sells to HP/Compaq, Toshiba, and BenQ.
* Lanix sells to Sony, Compaq, Toshiba, Siragon, Itautec
* Uniwill sells to Lenovo/IBM and Fujitsu & PC World UK own brand Advent
* Clevo has sold / now sells to Alienware, Sager, VoodooPC, Falcon Northwest, Eurocom, WidowPC, Pro-Star etc.

Solution

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Hello there. I think Sony's a great machines, mine last one lasted for years.

What do you think about the Sony VAIO F? It might be a little over the price range $1119, but may be worth it. That's the only downside.

On the positive, it has 500GB storage, just about what you were looking for, and Blu-Ray R and DVD R/W. The processor is a 1.73 GHz Intel® Core™ i7-740qm. It also has a NVIDIA® GeForce® GT 425M GPU video card.

Like I said, might be a little over your range, but may be worth a look.

Let me know what you think!

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team