Solved! HP Envy14 random shutdown issues

takenra

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
Hello there,

Apologies if this is the wrong section or has already been discussed but this seemed the appropriate place to try and get some answers to my problems.

I recently bought an envy14 for my girlfriend and after updating and installing software etc she was using the computer and for no reason it suddenly made a lound hissing noise followed by a lound pop/crack (like a speaker blowing) and then shutdown. The computer restart without any problems and then about 20 minutes later it did the same thing.

This computer was returned to where I bought it (futureshop, canada) and changed for new one. Now a month after getting the new computer it has just started doing the same thing

Can anyone explain what is happening and what is causing the problem? I have seen it on the laptop before and after updating all the drivers, windows, BIOS etc.

Any help is much appreciated!

Solution
I agree with christop- something is shorting out. Return it and go with a different brand, as HP tends to make sub par laptops in general. I went through three of them within a span of 3 years and will not ever buy an HP laptop again. Go with something a bit more reliable like a Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo, or an Asus.
I agree with christop- something is shorting out. Return it and go with a different brand, as HP tends to make sub par laptops in general. I went through three of them within a span of 3 years and will not ever buy an HP laptop again. Go with something a bit more reliable like a Toshiba, Dell, Lenovo, or an Asus.

Solution