Help Finding Decent Laptop For My Needs

kazimir86

Distinguished
Feb 13, 2011
1. What is your budget? Would prefer to spend in the $600-$800 range. Can spend more but will take an extra week or two to come up with funds.

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? Doesn't matter much. Neither does weight.

3. What screen resolution do you want? 1024x768 or better.

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? Both.

5. How much battery life do you need? Will be plugged in all the time, as long as it will charge on a 300w inverter, or I can find a 12v adapter for it.

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)? SC2, Diablo III(when available), Fallout New Vegas, WoW, would prefer Medium, but if that is out of my price range I would deal with Low.

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) Movies(not blu-ray), scanning paperwork, etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? Anything over 300gb is fine.

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
Newegg, Amazon, anything reputable really.

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? 2-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? DVD-RW

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. Doesn't matter as long as it's not overpriced.

13. What country do you live in? Colorado, USA

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.

I am an OTR truck driver, need a PC replacement laptop so I can play games and scan in my paperwork while on the road. Mostly looking to be able to play the games mentioned above on Low/Medium at 30 fps+, but would like to be able to play future games at about the same. Don't have much free time as my job is extremely demanding, so I would prefer to keep it under $800.

Thanks

drake123

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
In that case, get a Dell XPS 15 using the first option on their selection.
Then, since you are going to have it plugged in, don't choose the 9 cellbattery and if you can type without looking in dark, then don't choose backlit keyboard and all will be right at your budget with good performance. Plus, nice hard drive space and good graphics card.

http://www.dell.com/us/p/xps-15/fs

Oh, by first option, i meant the one labeled STANDARD.

Good luck!

Since we live in the USA, please state which state you live in and if you get taxed on it because I'm looking forward to probably purchasing this laptop for myself too. Thank you!