Solved! Opinions on new laptop purchase. Is this a deal?

thegibson

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I’m thinking about buying this laptop in the next couple of days: Toshiba R705-P35

SRP = $900 (at Toshiba and Amazon) but BB has it for $700 right now.

Things I like: Thin, light(er), good battery life (Tosh says 8 hours, review say 5 max), and good reviews from multiple sources like c|net (2nd place in best 5 laptops behind macbook pro).

Concerns: no bluetooth for my mouse and the i3 processor. I’d like more speed but I don’t plan on editing pictures or video on it. I’ve already built my desktop (with the help of this forum) so that would all happen there. I’m wondering if the i3 would handle the increasing amount of web-based apps. Things like Gmail, my work webmail portal (flash), my work grading app (java), etc… It seems like a decent deal for the money, and we were willing to spend a little more than $700, but this really seems like the best deal to me.

I would format and reinstall my own Win7.

This is my first commercial laptop purchase so any advice or opinions would be appreciated.

Much thanks,

Gib

thegibson

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010
I checked the BB link and it works for me. It's the only Tosh Portege on their site I believe.

buwish, I see what you mean but I think that one is too big for me. I have a 15" now at about 6lbs and it's just too much. I'm willing to exchange a bit of processor for more almost 2x the battery and 1/2 the weight.

Anyone else have an opinion?

Understandable. I had a 13.3 inch HP before it crapped out early (do not buy HP laptops) and went to a 14 inch Toshiba and needless to say, the 14 inch seems huge in comparison. I am a fan of smaller laptops as well. Netbooks are too under powered for my liking to go that small.

If you want to pay an extra $30 or so, you can go with this Toshiba:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834214184

Solution

thegibson

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2010

Good suggestion but same issues here. A pound and a half heaver and 1/2 the battery. I'm feeling pretty good about this one. Thanks.