Laptop with Intel i7 or Phenom II?

fayorzrz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Hello, i work with mathematical solvers and i have to work sometimes at home, at the office or while i am travelling. I am thinking about buying a new laptop, What do you recomend me to buy? with intel i7 or PhenomII?

Solution
Also, if you can wait until March for your purchase the fixed Sandybridge version of the i7's will be out. (Yeah yeah, it's only a SATA problem, but where there's one problem others are bound to crop up.) Also, with the announcement of AMD changing how they present their brands you might even get to choose from the new AMD chips come March.

So if you can wait about 3-4 weeks you will have better choices from Intel and you might have better choices from AMD. (Wishful thinking on my part about AMD, but that marketing announcement is usually indicative of upcoming releases.)

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
A phenom II is enough power for most users as well as being less expensive allowing for things like a better GPU and more Hard drive space. If you need more performance then you need to be looking at the i7 laptops which are much faster. I don't know what mathematical solvers you use or what problems you feed into them so I don't know how much processing power you need.

TheTech214

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
I would say and i7 because they last longer and get better battery life. I also think that they are more powerful. They also hold their value longer. What I mean buy that is they will still be able to compete with another processors down the road. they also have turbo boost which will increase the clock speed when it senses heavier work load. If you can swing the extra money the Intel core i7 would be the way to go.

Fadekyn

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2011
Also, if you can wait until March for your purchase the fixed Sandybridge version of the i7's will be out. (Yeah yeah, it's only a SATA problem, but where there's one problem others are bound to crop up.) Also, with the announcement of AMD changing how they present their brands you might even get to choose from the new AMD chips come March.

So if you can wait about 3-4 weeks you will have better choices from Intel and you might have better choices from AMD. (Wishful thinking on my part about AMD, but that marketing announcement is usually indicative of upcoming releases.)

Solution

fayorzrz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011
Thank you very much to everybody. As i also i have read in the forum the i7 will be the best choice in this moment. But in any case i ma not in a hurry so i can wait a few weeks. Either for any choices (the i7 been repair in the SATA problem) and letś see if AMD can give us a surprise. The money is not a big issue but i think is wise to wait. Thank you very much for everybodys advice.

fayorzrz

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2011

Mathematicla solvers make a lot of operations. Graphics is not an issue. What they do is millions of calculations, so better performance is whats is required.

Thanks for your advice