Solved! Buying new laptop - processor and vid card advice needed

issyreg70

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
First off I have to say how cool I think it is that there are people on here who take of their own time to give free advice to others, it just impresses me. (ok -warm fussy moment over)

I am looking to buy a new laptop and have a couple questions. I saw the FAQ on buying a new laptop but am looking for bit more focused advice, not "buy this computer" type advice.

1-This one might be tough to answer but I'll throw it out. I will need the laptop to start school next fall but would kind of like to buy now as my desktop is starting to crawl. Other then 6 months of tech advancement is there a good reason to wait (e.g I've heard there are better deals in the fall)?

I've got some of what I want nailed down but I am struggling with processor and video card. Budget isn't an issue but I'm thinking in the 500-800 range. I built my own desktop a few years back and spent on all kind of things I really didn't need so I'm trying to avoid that this time around.

I'm thinking about two "usage" scenarios. No gaming at all, maybe very basic video or photo editing.

First - General use - surfing net, listening to music, word processing, occasional online video but not a ton of streaming. Plus business use - multi tasking, remotely connecting to work network, lot's of spreadsheet work (several large excel spreadsheets open at a time). But no database use.

2- What kind of processor would I need for this, I want it to run well (e.g. i3, i5 dual or quad, Turion, etc). I would like to go a little above what I "need", just not waste money. I figure video doesn't matter on this one.

Second - All of the above plus blueray player, stream netflix, etc -display on 40inch 1080 p 60 hz TV.

3-How much would that effect the processor I would want to get, how about the video card. Along those lines when they give resolution of laptop is that just for the laptop screen or is that the max the laptop can output to as well?

I'm trying to determine if the additions in the second scenario are worth the money for me.

And if you have any advice I didn't necessarily ask for but you can tell I need, I'd appreciate it =).

THANKS!

Solution
Have a look at the links in my sig to see what is out there CPU and GPU wise. I'd try and wait a few months so you can pick up a laptop with a Sandy Bridge CPU in it. Even though they were released, there is a problem with chipset, which Intel has fixed, but it will take some time to get supplies back up. So, if you can hold off, wait until perhaps the end of March or early April.

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
Solution

raza715

Distinguished
Oct 5, 2008
another thing i would like to mention for your ease that above mentioned Sager's base configuration doesn't include Windows so you have to select it by yourself in customize option and that will cost you 90$ more.

geekapproved

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010

Why wait till April when you can have one now?

http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Sandy-Bridge-Cougar-Point-SATA,12156.html