Solved! Need a Laptop for Heavy Statistical Computing in R

MRS

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011
Hello,

I am using Maziar's quetionnaire here. I need a laptop for statistical computing in R. The data files will be huge and I will be running models on these files. I have tried to answer as much as possible. Please help.

Thanks

1. What is your budget? ~$2,000 or less

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering? – 15.1

3. What screen resolution do you want? – not sure

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop? - portable

5. How much battery life do you need? – best possible

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?- no

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.) – primarily statistical computing and creating reports, graphs etc.

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need? - I assume large because I need to store huge data files

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links. – no

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop? – as long as possible

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ? – all

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons. – Lenovo preferable

13. What country do you live in? - US

MRS

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

Hi WR2,

I did not find it anything on their website (http://www.r-project.org/)

thanks

Solution

MRS

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2011

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
Toshiba Satellite A665-3DV8 at $1,499. The Toshiba Satellite® A665 3D Edition laptop is an all-purpose entertainment laptop offering premium performance and technologies for superior productivity and creativity.

i7 Core Processor! Also 6 GB RAM, and 640 GB storage. This is a fantastic machine. Also, it has Blu-Ray R/W! Here are some more specs:
Screen
15.6" WXGA (1366x768) HD
Processor
1.73 GHz Intel® Core™ i7 processor
RAM
6 GB DDR3 1066 MHz
Storage
640 GB HDD 5400 RPM
Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

What do you think? Here's a link http://www.microsoft.com/windows/pc-scout/laptop-details.aspx?pcid=f51386f5-2b03-e011-bb23-02bf9d3bf32a

Kevin
Windows Outreach Team

Mike_25

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011

Why spend massive amounts on depreciating hardware. I lately started to make use of the new cloud computing offers for calculating with R. See Amazon EC2 or cloudnumbers.com. It's easier and cheaper!