Help with: Area-51 m5790

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Hello,

I have recently encountered a problem with my laptop. The laptop is Area-51 m5790. The problem is: when i press ON button nothing is happening. Well almost nothing. When the AC is plugged into the laptop the indicator is flashing with orange light. When i press power button the light blinks very quickly and disappears. Than it starts flashing as normal in about 5-10 sec.
When i try to run it from battery nothing going on at all.
I assume there is a short somewhere but i do not know how to diagnose the problem.
Any advice?

Thank you.

G

Sounds like the part of the motherboard intended to supply current to the battery (and/or the computer) has failed. Hopefully it's a discrete sub-board as on some machines or a simple capacitor failure. See a repair guy or the shop you bought it from.

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Yep that's what i figured. The only problem with that is the company is aleanware.com no longer supports this model. I guess i do have to see someone who can figure out what exactly wrong with it.

Thank you for your reply.

G

Alienware is part of Dell these days -- so maybe their support policy is a little more generous and it might be worth inquiring.

The motherboard was probably made by a third party -- so a repair guy may be able to source one (or figure out a less drastic fix).

Meanwhile look on e-bay etc for a similar model with, for example, a broken screen and see if you can cannibalise one into the other.

AlkinP

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
Yes they are dell now. But it doesn't help them to get better. Called the company, apparently they don't have a manual that tells me how to take laptop apart. I cant pull out MB. The only company that fix\sells MB for this laptop out of stock and not sure that they will be getting more of them. Though i did find out that MB itself is alive. It did but once. Powered from battery. But when i plugged the power cord it shut down immediately. So i think its some power issue. Now i need to figure out how to disassemble the laptop.

Rive0108

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007

I have a m5790... still runs in top shape, and I use a cryo chiller (that probably helps).

My system:
Alienware Area-51 M5790
Vista Ultimate x64 SP2
T7600G Core2 Duo 2.66 GHZ
ATI Mobility Radeon x1900 256MB
1920x1200 WUXGA 17"
4GB DDR2 PC2-5300 5-5-15-20
Blu-ray DL BD-RE (UJ-220)
HP digital TV Tuner express card
WD Scorpio Black 640GB 7200RPM HDD (2x 320GB RAID)

You can get all the parts for the m5790 here (including a new motherboard):
http://ztronics.com/m5790-m5700i-r2-series.html

You can get drivers here:
http://www.havocarcade.com/xfs/files/get/-0Rx3EUsLI/drivers.zip

financeqt1

Estimable
May 17, 2014
Hi AlkinP,
I wanted to share some interesting info with you and also find out how you managed your situation. In Jan 2011 the same exact situation with my alienware m5790 occurred. I was in the middle of moving and did all the hardware diagnostics that I could. I came to the conclusion that it was the Motherboard power supply.. I am settled now, only 3 years later :) and thought I should probably spend some time working on it again.. Well, I understand why I put it off for almost 3 yrs.... There is pretty much nothing I can do.. I thought it odd that you and I have the same problem, at the same time with the same model. I spent a small fortune on this laptop which was very unlike me as I have built desktops for years and I thought I would treat myself to this awesome laptop. Anyways, I was wondering what ended up happening with your Area 51 m5790? You could save a bunch of time and money if you could update me.
I apologize if this Post is not where it is supposed to be as it is not a "Solution", I never post anywhere about anything really, so please forgive me if I have written this in the wrong place...
Thank you for your time and I look forward to your feedback..