Notebook for work and fun

gust_25

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
hi, id like some performance notebook, but as portable as possible. it would be docked with external monitor and keyboard while working, but taken on trip anytime while still ready for playing hd movie and after that still left some power to browse internet/play music.

1. What is your budget?
1500 EUR

2. What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
12" to 15"

3. What screen resolution do you want?
highest possible

4. Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
portable

5. How much battery life do you need?
2.5h+ while watching movie

6. Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
no, there's an desktop for gaming

7. What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)
programming (eclipse, visual studio) + browsing with 100 opened tabs at background :D + some music .. movies

8. How much storage (Hard Drive capacity) do you need?
320gb for movies/ music + SSD (at least 32gb) for apps

9. If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
-

10. How long do you want to keep your laptop?
3-4 years.

11. What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
dvd-rw

12. Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I like:
Lenovo - quality + design
Asus - quality + price

13. What country do you live in?
Slovakia, Europe

14. Please tell us any additional information if needed.
>sandy bridge<
LED backlit
ssd !
lots of ram
there's no need for discrete graphics for now .. maybe i'd like to play games later, but i'm waiting till 28nm gpus are comming out first.. so there should be empty slot for it, but its not a condition

Thanks in advance!

gust_25

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2011
i forgot to add, that i'm going to buy it in next 2-3 months ... so if there are some upcomming sandy bridge candies, list them too pls.

Hello gust_25;
Yes, Sandy Bridge dual and quad core systems will be available and in your price range.
It's just a bit tooo early to list anything. Big changes coming in the next two to three months.
Stop back by here about two weeks before you plan to buy. That's more than enough time and you'll get accurate price estimates and hopefully some actual reviews.

WindowsTeam_Kevin

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2011
How do you feel about the ASUS U43JC Bamboo for $999? It's a pretty sweet machine that should be able to do all that you need it to. It even has blu-ray.

The bamboo texture and elegant, brushed-aluminum exterior of the stylish ASUS U33Jc notebook give it a more tactile and organic feel. NVIDIA® Optimus™ technology helps save battery life and enhance performance.

Here are its specs:
Screen
14" WXGA (1366x768) HD
Processor
2.4 GHz Intel® Core™ i5-450M Processor
RAM
4 GB DRAM 1066 MHz
Storage
500 GB HDD 5400 RPM
Operating system
Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit
Optical drive