Solved! Should I wait for Sandy Bridge?

salcurrier

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Hello,
I am looking to purchase a notebook in the next couple of weeks, was looking at spending around $1000-1200 and was looking at the sager 8130 and the ideapad y560p; however I just found out that what was available has been recalled and now estimated shipping dates for Sandy Bridge notebooks are late March-early April. I am not sure if I can/want to wait that long. I understand that they will have that new processor smell but is it really going to be worth it? Also is there any notebooks that are comparable to the two listed above with AMD chipsets? I am just curious and would appreciate any info. Thanks,

Solution
Should you wait? or...
Can you wait? Yes or No.
Yes; wait for Sandy Bridge.
No; time to shop for a laptop.

There are AMD CPUs and chipsets out, but it would be a stretch to say they're comparable. You usually save some money and get a bit less performance though.
Should you wait? or...
Can you wait? Yes or No.
Yes; wait for Sandy Bridge.
No; time to shop for a laptop.

There are AMD CPUs and chipsets out, but it would be a stretch to say they're comparable. You usually save some money and get a bit less performance though.

Solution

salcurrier

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011
Can I? It will be hard, do you know if they are going to have any SB notebooks for sale now or is it just a few select models that are having issues?

As far as what I am looking for is something to play a few MMORPG's and maybe a couple FPS's but don't have to have the highest graphics card. I am a little ticked because I was looking at the HD Radeon 6570 cards in the Ideapad Y560P for less than $900 but now can't find them at all.

Anyways thanks for the info, I will keep looking for laptops and hopefully find something before April. Let me know if you have any other info or suggestions.

Thanks,