Dell Laptop Blank Screen

Kiento

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Hi everyone,

I'm having an issue with my Dell Inspiron 1420 Laptop (running Windows 7). I don't remember all the other specifications but it's basically one of dell's cookie cutter laptops. Anyways.. recently while my friend was playing The Sims 3 on it, the screen started going blank. The screen itself was still lit up but it was black and nothing was showing up. It is still doing that and I'm not sure why, but i have had hardware problems like this before. I restarted it multiple times with and without the battery. Any ideas what could be the problem? Has anyone had this issue before and knows how to fix it? Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

If you plug an external monitor into it, do you get video?

If you get video, and the LCD screen is lit up, you may have a loose data cable or a bad LCD panel.

If the LCD is not lit, shine a bright flashlight on it and see if you can see your windows desktop. If you see the desktop, then your power inverter is most likely toast.

Kiento

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
No video when I plug it into an external monitor, I forgot to mention that I tried that.

The LCD screen is lit up, it's just blank. So shining a flashlight at it doesn't let me see anything.

I wonder if it might be the video card or something.

lysinger

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2010

That is a good possibility, that or the Motherboard. Is it still under warranty?

Kiento

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2010
Nope, had it for 2 1/2 years. I took it in to a repair place once to get it fixed and they said there wasn't anything wrong with it, but there was when I took it in. I think it's just trying to die now. I guess I just need to get another one.

Thanks for the help.