Laptop won't POST RAM

tenzy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I inherited a Compaq Evo N1020v Laptop which I’m trying to fix. Upon entering BIOS there are 2 short beeps and no error messages.

BIOS Settings:

• BIOS: Phonix
• Product Name: Evo N1020v
• CPU Type: Intel P4
• CPU Speed: 2GHz
• BIOS Version: 0F06
• KBC Version: 1817

Diagnostics:

• No HDD
• No Battery
• Power Supply present
• 256MB Memory present (DDR 266MHz CL2.5 PC2100S-25330)

The memory is not being recognised by BIOS, yet, if I leave out the memory stick then I get a blank screen and can't access setup. I’ve tested the memory stick in both slots with same results. I also tried a spare memory stick of the same speed and type with same results.

Is this pointing to a motherboard problem or something else?

Expert help is very much appreciated.

Thanks.

Solution
I don't recall mine telling me the total amount of memory that was installed on every boot. It was a very minimal boot screen if i remember correctly. However, if you're getting a boot screen, it's recognizing the memory. Am i correct to assume that there is no hard drive installed? I recall mine showing the ATAPI CD-ROM and the primary hard drive being detected at the POST screen. You just show an ATAPI CD-ROM. That might be the cause for the beeps, if it's expecting a hard drive (the primary IDE enabled in bios) and the laptop not seeing a drive.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
You say the memory isn't being recognized? If the computer wasn't seeing the RAM, you wouldn't be getting into setup. Is it not recognizing the full amount? And the two beeps on post is usually followed by an error code. Like "Date/Time not set" or "Keyboard not present" or something like that. Check the BIOS error log (if present) and see if it shows something.

I used to have an n1020v back in the day. They're good laptops. Just a tip, that motherboard will support up to a 2.4GHz P4, and it can use either a desktop or mobile P4 (the mobiles that had the heatspreader, not the bare p4's)

tenzy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011
I agree. It shouldn't be able to access setup. It is very strange. Upon entering setup, I just get two short beeps and NO error code is displayed. There is NO entry for the memory in setup. There seems to be no BIOS error log to check. This is what I see....

System Time
System Date
Product Name
Platform ID
CPU Type
CPU Speed
BIOS Version
KBC Version
Serial Number
Asset Tag
Ownership tag
UUID Number

Thats it. No mention of the memory. Yet it goes into to setup by pressing F10 on startup. As expected, if I remove the memory then I can't access setup.

However, if I disconnect the cmos battery, wait and reconnect some 20mins later then I get the following page when I turn the power on:

PhoenexBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1995-2001 Phoenix Technologies Ltd
All Rights Reserved
BIOS Version 0F06

System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
ATAPI CD-ROM: Compaq DVD-ROM GDR-8081N
Mouse initialised
System Configuration Date updated
ERROR
0271: Check date and time settings
WARNING
0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used

F1 Boot
F10 Computer Setup

I go into setup and set the time and date. I Press F10 to save and exit setup. As expected, I get the following error:

"Operating System not found".

Am I correct in thinking, setup should be declaring the status of the memory installed ?

tenzy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

I agree. It shouldn't be able to access setup. It is very strange. Upon entering setup, I just get two short beeps and NO error code is displayed. There is NO entry for the memory in setup. There seems to be no BIOS error log to check. This is what I see....

System Time
System Date
Product Name
Platform ID
CPU Type
CPU Speed
BIOS Version
KBC Version
Serial Number
Asset Tag
Ownership tag
UUID Number

Thats it. No mention of the memory. Yet it goes into to setup by pressing F10 on startup. As expected, if I remove the memory then I can't access setup.

However, if I disconnect the cmos battery, wait and reconnect some 20mins later then I get the following page when I turn the power on:

PhoenexBIOS 4.0 Release 6.0
Copyright 1995-2001 Phoenix Technologies Ltd
All Rights Reserved
BIOS Version 0F06

System BIOS shadowed
Video BIOS shadowed
ATAPI CD-ROM: Compaq DVD-ROM GDR-8081N
Mouse initialised
System Configuration Date updated
ERROR
0271: Check date and time settings
WARNING
0251: System CMOS checksum bad - Default configuration used

F1 Boot
F10 Computer Setup

I go into setup and set the time and date. I Press F10 to save and exit setup. As expected, I get the following error:

"Operating System not found".

Am I correct in thinking, setup should be declaring the status of the memory installed ?

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
I don't recall mine telling me the total amount of memory that was installed on every boot. It was a very minimal boot screen if i remember correctly. However, if you're getting a boot screen, it's recognizing the memory. Am i correct to assume that there is no hard drive installed? I recall mine showing the ATAPI CD-ROM and the primary hard drive being detected at the POST screen. You just show an ATAPI CD-ROM. That might be the cause for the beeps, if it's expecting a hard drive (the primary IDE enabled in bios) and the laptop not seeing a drive.

Solution

tenzy

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2011

Correct, no hard drive, so I'll put one in, format it then install windows and see how far I get.

I appreciate your advice. Thanks for your time.