Strange Thinkpad T41 Video problem

eudaly

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
Here are the facts:
My TP T41 LCD is dark. Shine a light on it and you see dim video.
When plugged into an external monitor I have a Great picture. (Indicates a good video chip)

I took the entire panel off and put in on another T41 and it works great. (indicates a good LCD, inverter and backlight)

Re-install on original laptop and it's dark again.

When I hold my frequency meter near the inverter there are no oscillations, on the working system I measure 68.2 Mhtz.

If I manually operate the lid close button, both the LCD and external monitor go dark. I release the button and the external monitor returns to a nice bright picture. The LCD returns to the very dim picture. (indicates a good lid switch and proper sleep functions)

I'm STUMPED. Anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

Solution
If you're also swapping the cable that goes from the lid to the motherboard, it sounds like your motherboard is no longer providing either the +5v for the inverter, or it's not sending the signal to turn the inverter on. I've seen it happen on a compaq before where the MB would no longer send a power-on control signal to the inverter any more.

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
If you're also swapping the cable that goes from the lid to the motherboard, it sounds like your motherboard is no longer providing either the +5v for the inverter, or it's not sending the signal to turn the inverter on. I've seen it happen on a compaq before where the MB would no longer send a power-on control signal to the inverter any more.

Solution

eudaly

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
That's what I concluded as well. Problem is, I have no idea how the 5volt is supplied.

There is only one cable to the display so the 5 volts is supposed to be on a pin in the connector... but which one. (The cable was swapped with the lid)

Thanks for your reply.
Cecil

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

If you would've read the original post, he swapped the entire lid to another laptop and it works, so that proves his LCD, cable, inverter, and blacklight tube are all good.

And yes, the +5 is a certain pin on the cable. Just look at the inverter, it should only have 4-6 wires going to it, and looking at the traces, it's easy to tell what does what. Usually the +5 pins on the inverter lead to a small surface mount fuse before going to the chopper. The grounds are pretty obvious. And 1 or 2 pins will have a very small trace that usually leads to the PWM/Oscillator IC, those are the logic turn-on signal line(s).

eudaly

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

I agree, the 5 volts should certainly be on the cable attaching to the inverter board. But.... the cable to the board is a flat ribbon with 24 conductors. (the inverter also has 7 LED's for power, charge, wireless, sleep, caps, num and disk). I have a schematic for the T41 but it doesn't include the display circuitry.

Probably should just junk the thing but... I'M STUBBORN!! :)

Cecil

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009

If you're stubborn, i'm assuming that you'll be getting after it with a DVM and getting back to us with the results of what you found :)

eudaly

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011

yep... the old eyes make it difficult but i'm a tryin'

eudaly

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2011
well... I found the problem. It was a small fuse (about the size of a black pepper flake) on the motherboard. I took a fuse off of another motherboard but lost it in the carpet before i could get it installed. I successfully suppressed the urge to throw things and put the carcass in a box under the bench. (That's the first stage of throwing it away).

mavroxur

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2009
Well, fuses generally aren't black. If it looks like this....

http://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:SMD_Transistor.jpg

It's not a fuse, it's either a transistor, FET, or something similar.

If it looks like this

http://www.littelfuse.com/data/en/Product_Photos/Littelfuse_Fuse_501_Series_HiRes.jpg

or looks similar, it's a fuse. A fuse will only have 2 leads. If it has more, it's not a fuse. The reason I mention this is because SMT fuses generally aren't black, and not the size of pepper flakes. SMT transistors are though.

EinsteinWasRight

Estimable
Jul 24, 2014
My ThinkPad T41 display backlight wasn't working in WinXP, but OK on external display. From forums here and elsewhere I was convinced it was a hardware problem. Was going to move hard drive to external case, save the RAM, and trash the rest. Dual boot system. Don't know why, but for the heck of it I restarted into Ubuntu. Before the Ubuntu login screen appeared the T41's main screen lit up! It worked perfectly in Ubuntu, no problems moving the hinge to any angle. Restarted, backlight off during BIOS splash, boot menu, and WinXP. Back into Ubuntu backlight working. Back into WinXP no backlight. Then in WinXP I used Function-F7 to cycle through all possible int/ext display combinations and then the backlight started working in WinXP! No hardware problem after all!! It has been fine ever since. So basically the ThinkPad got "confused". I don't know if running Ubuntu helped solve the problem or just revealed that the hardware is fine. I wonder how often this is the explanation for a ThinkPad backlight not working? [Last time this happened to me with a different model ThinkPad, I tossed it, but maybe it could have been fixed just as easily.]