Code 39 error

Status
Not open for further replies.

babbott

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2010
I have an Hp G60 234CL laptop running window 7 professional. My laptop is not recognizing the cd/dvd drive. It says: [Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)]. I have tried doing the update driver and this is the message it gives me: [Windows has determined the driver software for your device is up to date]. But it still wont read the drive.
I have done a system restore and it did not correct the problem. I have physically removed the drive from my laptop waited a few minutes and then reassembled it still nothing. I have run malware scans, spybot scans, antivirus scans, cleanup scans. I am at a loss can anyone provide me with any advice? It would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

G

Check to see if the drive is being recognised in the BIOS. In fact, if the drive is shown as present I'd try changiing the boot order and booting from the CD drive using a Windows distribution disk (anything after Win98 should do). That way you may see if the drive is faulty or the issue is with your installation of Windows.

Dec 14, 2010
Google is your friend. Look up the key words there: Code 39 device driver missing dvd , and you'll find a registry fix that worked for me on a laptop running Win XP. I don't know if it works for Win 7, but it might. It involves removing Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values of the following key to the registry: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318} Backup your registry before attempting to change anything there and only do the reg fix if you know what you're doing and accept full responsibility for doing it. If you do one wrong thing with the registry, you can totally frack up your computer. If you're not sure, don't do it, give it to a professional to fix.

G

Yes, I think that has identified the issue. But worth following my tip about BIOS just to confirm that it's a Windows prob -- the Registry is a scary place.

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Your link is completely and utterly wrong. That is definitely NOT the way to fix the issue. Either you inserted the wrong link by mistake, you have a warped sense of humor or you have not been taking your medications. If you are trying to mislead people on Tom's forums, that is abusive and such attempts will be reported to the Moderators.

someonewhoknowsalittle

Distinguished
Jul 2, 2010

Glad it was just a wrong link. Your new link is good. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.